Converting to EFI and porting cylinder heads?

Technical questions and answers
KR

Converting to EFI and porting cylinder heads?

Post by KR »

My Landie has been sitting for a couple years with not much done to it (I went to school overseas). So, I thought I'd at least start scavenging for parts.

I wanna ditch the Edelbrock carb for fuel injection. I'm thinking just yank out the whole system from a 3.9 Rangie? Our how about the later 4.0 and 4.6 RR's; are there any improvements FI-wise? What exactly do I need to make the swap? How about ignition; aren't late Range Rovers distributor-less? Lotta work?

I also need to yank off left cylinder head and have a stripped spark plug thread fixed (suggestions, Heli-coil?). So, I thought why not make some improvements while things are dismantled? How much is there to gain by porting and opening up the intake and exhaust ports? Maybe in coherence with the headers, also? Dremel?

Suggestions?
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

When I was looking into this I was asking a lot of questions on this forum: http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/index.php

There is a bunch of Rover V8 gurus there.

As far as I am aware, the porting will only make big differences at high RPM, with a cam, a decent inlet manifold and a decent exhaust manifold, for the high rpm you really should get the engine balanced so that it will be smooth at the higher RPM and not vibrate.

With the fuel injection, I was considering it for a long time. But went with the LPG instead because it makes the car so much cheaper to run. If you wanted to go with the fuel injection, have a look at the megasquirt project here: http://www.megasquirt.org/megasquirt.html

You could buy a fuel injection system off a later rover motor and then wire it up to this ECU. Why would you want to use this ECU over the one that comes with the rover motors? Well, the megasquirt ECU is highly customisable. You have the benefit of tuning your engine however you like.

Anyway, that should be enough info to get you pointed in the right direction. I highly recommend that V8 forum though for specific info on the engine build.
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Hiya
I am scrapping a 3.9 due to rot here in the UK. How much for the elderbrok and mani?
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
KR

Post by KR »

OK, I signed up on the website. That's a Rover 215 specific board, right?

The EFI swap is certainly not my main priority right now, but it's something that's been on my mind for a while. I've heard good things about Megasquirt, and it looks cool, but it sounds like a lot of extra work to me. Do you know the difference between the different Range Rover ECU's?

I saw you just had your heads off. Looking at the ports and openings; you don't think I'll see any noticeable gain? High RPM horsepower is cool, but not really what I'm looking for.