Hello/S1 Rebuild

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos

Post by 5988 »

landdani wrote:can you pout some extra photos for the radiator?
yes
anything in particular you want to see?
landdani

Post by landdani »

well, my engine hase got blown, I think cause of the heat, and I think that the cooling system was mat-installed and mall-functioning, and their was a tube missing from the (reservoir).
so a photos to the cooling system in the correct condition will be a great help.
wonderful sport!
1984 SeriesIII ex-melitary, 109 inch, V8 stage one

Post by 5988 »

will post them tonight 8)

Post by 5988 »

pics
top hose - engine out to radiator (coolant flows from engine to Rad)

bottom hose - coolant from rad to engine

expansion bottle - LH hoise is the overflow and leads toi no where - just drops it on the ground
Rh hose leads to the radiator as in the next pic

hose from expansion bottle - not sure if it should be top or bottom fitting - shouldn't matter which it is

spare fitting connects to the inlet manifold here (needs to be done - ive just not fitted it yet) (centre of the pic you can see the hose conenction)

i havent got heater pipes fitted yet either so no pics of those

that what you wanted?

8)
landdani

Post by landdani »

Yes, one of the reservoir`s pipes was missing in my car :shock:
wonderful sport!

Post by 5988 »

landdani wrote:Yes, one of the reservoir`s pipes was missing in my car :shock:
so long as it was the drain pipe it will have made no difference
if it was the one to the radiator that wouldnt be good
landdani

Post by landdani »

I can not tell now, the car is in the garage.
Best wishes to your car.
wonderful sport!

Post by 5988 »

well... long time nothing happened as im working 80 miles away from where this lives,
but some progress ...only a bit but progress is progress (now a hole year over the projected rebuild time when i got it ) :roll:

just need to find me the heater valve and pipes then the cooling system is done 8)

some more green bits, fixed the cocked up paint on the transmission tunnel from last year , straightened and painted the front panel and its associated bits
Need to sort the bonnet latch, and new barrel in the bonnet lock then this lot can be fitted , need a grill to (or weld the holes up in the one i have)

fitted the manifolds , RH one courtesy of a dead 110V8, LH from Drew
need the manifolds of to fit the Su's i bought (don't trust the Strombergs design for reliability,....and with the long term plans ...there going)

exhaust system will be on next (its ridiculously restrictive, so probably wont stay long), and an auto sparks chassis loom ordered
fit that, and then the fuel tank - courtesy of a dead S3 109 diesel (bloody lot of bits to mount that)
oh and tow bar needs to go on before that - now back to a normal hitch not a dixon bate thingy,
oh and repaint the bulkhead where i dropped the bonnet on it and scratched it deeply ... :-(

The gas system i have for it, is now not happening, she's staying on petrol, partly for simplicity, partly from a rivet counting view (which im aiming for...except the Su's :roll: ), and im not compromising load space ...besides i have the S2 for cheap driving (which is why this hasn't progressed much, its being having a tidy up)

things still on the needed list
-centre exhaust mount - bolts to the gearbox, same as RRC
-Good dash top - late S3 type
-Front wings
-Better bonnet (probably rob the skin of the old defender one, and fit the stage 1 frame)
-Truck cab seatbelt mounts
-stage 1 air intake flappy things (that directs the air from the exhaust manifold or the cold air intake)
-fuel lines

getting there ........ maybe this time next year it will see the road again
8)
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Paint looks purdy :)

I thought the SU's can just fit straight onto the inlet manifold but the problem is finding the right linkages for them.

Sucks about the bulkhead. I hate having to redo work, especially when it's because of my own clumsiness.

With the price of LPG here there is no longer any price advantage to it I reckon either. The added complexities and certification costs (tank pressure testing, etc.) outweigh the cost advantages.

Best I've done lately is paint some old wheels and put them on :D :roll:
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
landdani

Post by landdani »

That (MASHROOM) thing is not commun in my country , but I know it is for heating the air befor entring the carbutater, right?
this summer it was 48C :shock:
wonderful sport!

Post by 5988 »

landdani wrote:That (MASHROOM) thing is not commun in my country , but I know it is for heating the air befor entring the carbutater, right?
this summer it was 48C :shock:
you probably dont need it then 8) ...when its -10C it will probably help, though my dads RRC has a strait air intake and never gives any problems..but its there as it should be

[qoute="disco2hse"]
I thought the SU's can just fit straight onto the inlet manifold but the problem is finding the right linkages for them.

Sucks about the bulkhead. I hate having to redo work, especially when it's because of my own clumsiness.

With the price of LPG here there is no longer any price advantage to it I reckon either. The added complexities and certification costs (tank pressure testing, etc.) outweigh the cost advantages.
[/quote]
Have a manifold with linkages and SU's so just swap it all over (or the carbs and linkage, not decided yet)

currently LPG is around 65ppl compared with petrol at 115ppl here so still a good cost saving, and no certification requirement (though most insurance companies want a certificate when its fitted, )
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

5988 wrote:currently LPG is around 65ppl compared with petrol at 115ppl here so still a good cost saving, and no certification requirement (though most insurance companies want a certificate when its fitted, )
Yes. We have very stringent LPG regulations here. Probably because of the instances of cars blowing up on impact, gas cylinders exploding during filling, that kind of thing ;)

It all adds to the cost of ownership and with our LPG reserves diminishing or being sold offshore, the prices have gone up too.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5

Post by 5988 »

disco2hse wrote:
5988 wrote:currently LPG is around 65ppl compared with petrol at 115ppl here so still a good cost saving, and no certification requirement (though most insurance companies want a certificate when its fitted, )
Yes. We have very stringent LPG regulations here. Probably because of the instances of cars blowing up on impact, gas cylinders exploding during filling, that kind of thing ;)

It all adds to the cost of ownership and with our LPG reserves diminishing or being sold offshore, the prices have gone up too.
you seem to be much more regulated on anything you do with them over there, must make life much harder...we can do prety much what we want (though if you crashed and it didn't meet construction and use regs you'd be in the S**T, its not actually checked, just what is presented for the MOT meets the criteria
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Yeah. It can be a pain in the butt cheek. One of the joys of being a former colony and the destination of all those accountants and hairdressers 'encouraged' (read --- 'paid') to leave Ole Blighty in the 50's and 60's.

We ended up with all the petty bureaucrats. Of course you are getting your share from Brussels :P
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5

Post by 5988 »

So an update ,
Exhaust fitted and all sorted properly
Brakes piped up and working (bit of adjustment needed and another round with the pressure bleeder)
Fuel tank ready to go in and all fixings got
chassis loom ready to go it - but the wire I ran down the chassis to pull it through with has got welded to the chassis ...bugger - need to work on that one
Cooling system all filled up and water tight (given up on finding a heater valve, so used the fittings form the 110 and now have no heater flow control)
some more bits painted Java,
the front panel straitened and painted
new bonnet lock found and fitted so that works again
got a decent bonnet for it now as well
doors stripped down, need new frame bottoms and then new skins

so still need good wings, some bits coming from franc sometime, a good dash, all the wiring fitting, seatbox and tub fixing and painting, need the fuel pipes as well (or make some)

so thats progress for this year, now sheeted up till next summer