gearbox oil

Technical questions and answers
jonnyboy

gearbox oil

Post by jonnyboy »

Going to change the oil in the gear box and axles this weekend (christmas doesnt happen in my house its just a longer weekend) and have a couple of gallons of EP90 for the axles but wanted to get a deffinate asnwer on gear and transfer boxes.

So what oil do I need?

Cheers

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
samro

Post by samro »

The LT 95 ins a combo unit the Transfercase is part of the Main gear box, both are lubricated but an oil pump wich has a fine fillter wich will need cleaning when you change the oil, use engine oil, I use 15/30.
"The very difficult we do immediately the impossible takes a little longer!"
1985 Range Rover V8 Auto [Rachel]
1981 Stage 1 V8 S/W [Custard]
1972 SIII 88" D S/W [The 88"]
Basil

Post by Basil »

main gearbox and transfer case are one unit but they are both filled and drained independently of each other, 20/50 engine oil is correct grade.

Basil
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

After Christmas I'll dig out my scanner and post the Lubrication chart here.

When I got my Stage One the gearbox made a whirring whining noise when stationary and was diagnosed as a failing clutch release bearing by a garage. I checked the oils and found the gearbox filled with EP90. Changed to engine oil and it runs good as new.
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

While we'er on gearboxes. The constant whooshing coming from my gearbox after shes warmed is a tired bearing i am thinking. What other suggestions do you have. Might the oil be wrong in mine?
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

Mine makes a whirring sound when i disengage the clutch and leave it in neutral. I imagine I am low on lube but will let you know when I check. By the way, it's funny. . .the selector knob is reversed from the actual high/low on my t-case. Anyone else's like that? The t-case is up for high, down for low; knob is opposite. Maybe it's the wrong knob?
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

Hi all
Mine makes the same noise as artic rover's. I read somewhere it could be the wrong grade of oil, so decided to change it with engine oil. Drained both boxes and pulled the filter out and had lots of metal in it. :shock:
Re-filled it to the correct level but still makes the same noise. Have done a few miles in it since and the noise has got no worse. I think it is a tired lay shaft bearing, but I think I can live with it for a while, but am on the look out for an LT95 to re-build at some point.

Merry Christmas to you all and have a happy and healthy 2006.
Regards Huzey
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Gearboxes seem to be a bit thin on the ground esp Stage One's. I've bought a few items from the company below and found them to be excellent. they have alot of V8 Gbox bits as well

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/L-R-Series
Basil

Post by Basil »

Hi, i had the noise you descibe and it turned out to be the sleeve that the release bearing sits on was loose.

It's supposed to be a tight fit on the shaft but mine was spinning on it, i took one of another gearbox that i had at the time and it's been quiet ever since.

hope this helps Basil
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
nick

Post by nick »

Samro, where is the filter you decribe for the gearbox, how do I access/remove it for cleaning?

Cheers,
Nick
:P
Do what you like and you'll always like what you do.
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

It comes out with the drain plug. If not stick yer little finger innit and wiggle and it will come.

Just as an aside I did the oil in my wifes Disco and the filter was covered in what looked like black flakey paint.