dwell & timing

Technical questions and answers
sebking

dwell & timing

Post by sebking »

Cleaned the points, reset the gap corrected dwell to 26 degrees and then checked the timing which was at TDC. Reset to 6 degrees BTDC and wow is that better!

Need to check and regap the plugs and then on to the carbs.

Taking a day off on Monday to look at the tub and generally have a day off!

Seb
1970 Spitfire MKIII
1981 Laser 1 88643
1982 Stage 1 v8 SW
1992 Laser 2 9101 "Purple Reign"
2000 Laser Pico 4050
2001 Brompton M3L
2010 VW California GP 140 SE
2010 Brompton M6L
2010 Venture Ranger 16 Canoe
2010 Cube Ltd Pro
choc-ice

Re: dwell & timing

Post by choc-ice »

sebking wrote:Cleaned the points, reset the gap corrected dwell to 26 degrees and then checked the timing which was at TDC. Reset to 6 degrees BTDC and wow is that better!
I did the dwell on mine today, it's really easy with the adjustment outside the distributor!

Went to do the timing and there's no timing mark on my crankshaft pulley :?

Any ideas how I find TDC easily?
doggreen10

Post by doggreen10 »

choc-ice wrote:
sebking wrote:Cleaned the points, reset the gap corrected dwell to 26 degrees and then checked the timing which was at TDC. Reset to 6 degrees BTDC and wow is that better!
I did the dwell on mine today, it's really easy with the adjustment outside the distributor!

Went to do the timing and there's no timing mark on my crankshaft pulley :?

Any ideas how I find TDC easily?
Take out No 1 spark turn engine over buy hand, with small screew driver in spark hole when piston at top you have TDS
choc-ice

Post by choc-ice »

doggreen10 wrote:Take out No 1 spark turn engine over buy hand, with small screew driver in spark hole when piston at top you have TDS
Did that, as Sod's law will tell you, the alternator belt wasn't quite tight enough to turn the engine so I had to sit on the front wing with a spanner on the alternator, my foot pressing on the belt and my right hand holding the stick in the spark plug hole....

Job done though, thanks all :D