Chassis plate investigation

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
arcticrover

Chassis plate investigation

Post by arcticrover »

All-

I referred to my chassis plate in the past. Here is a better picture. Anyone have any idea what this partial plate and hashed out VIN are all about?

Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Hi
Is it at all possible to make out the original number.If the truck was in this country i would be suspicious, but thats what Thatcherism do'es to you.
Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

yes, i have the original number. it is LBCMH 1AA101612. I thought it was pretty strange, too, but I also can trace who sold it through the customs and shipment forms and e-mail trail. it did come from the UK.

explain thatcherism to a yankee beyond that she was the PM?
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Yea
Just done a Clifton VIN check and that number relates to an Early SW Stage 1.Just get a new plate. Is the number still stamped on the chassis leg. My frames galvanised so i cant tell.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

I haven't had a moment to look for the chassis VIN. I am at work right now. I understand it is supposed to be stamped on the front left side outrigger? I just spoke to Mr Eric Pagan of LR Traceability on the phone about an hour ago. He isn't sure why the plate looks like that, but sent me the build record yesterday. Does that Clifton VIN check specify owners? By the way, I looked for reproduction chassis plates to no avail. Do you know where to get one?
glencoyne

Post by glencoyne »

Just a guess, but looking at that plate, I wonder whether a previous owner had problems with the police or VOSA (vehicle safety agency) over towing weights. It looks as though the only purpose of that plate is to confirm the drawbar weight of the vehicle as 4000kg (6710 less 2710), and perhaps this has been done to try and prevent arguments about how much an old Land Rover is allowed to tow.

Richard
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

Who knows? I just want to know where I can get a repro plate made. I could probably have someone custom make one if I had a good high res photo of a complete plate. Volunteers?
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Contact the S3/90/110 club. They might be able to help with a new plate. You will have to provide proof of ownership.
terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

They have been contacted. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks! :D
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

does everyone's chassis plate say "BL CARS LTD" at the top and match this one? I may have to have one custom printed. No one is answering up on the other board. I could also use some measurements if anyone wouldn't mind taking a moment since mine is only a partial. . .

EDIT: I used power point and the picture above to create as near a spot on template as I could. I am going to take this to an engraver and have it made up. What do you guys think?

Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Looks good to me so long as all the weights suit your truck.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

they are the same weights that are on my partial plate . . . . besides our vehicle registration and tax systems are completely different from yours. no department of motor vehicle inspector here would even know where to look for the chassis plate, let alone know if it was correct. . . .
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

My brain is failing me now. I bought a plate some time ago. It either came from Craddocks or the Series three club. They may be able to help
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

they apparently sell some sort of plastic version, but i don't know how authentic looking it is. i like the fact that the original plate says "british leyland cars" on it . . . i don't think any of the series land rovers ever had that on their chassis plate. they all said "rover" or "land rover" didn't they?
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

Get this. . . I ran across a photo ad in LRM that showed my Stage 1 next to one that was being sold. In fact, it was the same picture I had gotten when I bought, but from a different angle to feature the other Rover. So I call the guy up. Chap's name is Julian and he lives in Hertforshire. Nice guy and happy to talk, but get this . . . he admits freely that he swapped the chassis number plate from a 1980 Series III onto mine to export it. Turns out mine is actually a 1981. I now know that it actually carried the registration plate of ASF42W, was a Stage 1 SW first registered 12 March 1981, engine number 11G00920, and the last four of the chassis number were 5082 . . . wish I had a full chassis number! DVLA seems to confirm this information . . . and that it is RED . . . so I am getting closer to the truth about my Rover.

I was suffiently upset about the whole thing to call the constables in Hert to file a report. I don't know if they took me seriously. Any ideas on what to do next gents? I would really like to get a copy of the correct V5 and ascertain the correct VIN. . .

EDIT: Looking at the VIN codes, I am only missing the first two numbers of the serial. My VIN should look like this:

SALLBCMV1AA??5082