Ignition Coil

Technical questions and answers
nick

Ignition Coil

Post by nick »

Hi,

I have recently installed the engine out of a 1988 Range Rover 3.5 EFi in my stage one - including the electronic distributor with the integrated amplifer. I seem to have a very weak spark - I retained the original stage one points ignition coil - do I need to upgrade to a coil specifically intended for use with this electronic distributor?

Thanks,
Nick :-)
Do what you like and you'll always like what you do.
stephen

Post by stephen »

ONe would be thinking that way Iwould say u need all the elec in that area to be compatable.Also eletronic coils do pump power
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

You will need a transformer type coil. It looks different to the old oil bath type coil.

You can see a picture of what the coil looks like by going here:
http://apps.bosch.com.au/products/saa/i ... _coils.pdf
On the first page, the photo on the far right is a transformer coil. You can often find them on ebay.
primsil

Post by primsil »

88 rangies use an oil filled coil. But they dont use a ballast resistor. I fitted the coil from the 88 with the dissy in my 110.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
Davo

Post by Davo »

Funny you should ask, as I've just bought an engine that came with a similar dizzy and I had to work out what it was.

The one with an integrated amp is the Lucas 35DLM8. This was the later version of the 35DM8, which had a separate amp. The integrated amp is known to fail from being subjected to engine heat, so usually the 35DM8 is preferred.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, you need the coil specific to your distributor and amp.

As usual, Rimmer Brothers have some great info here:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/rimmer/rove ... e/ignition
primsil

Post by primsil »

I havent had an integrated amp fail as yet, though I had a dissy cut the top off as the springs had gone from the weights. The later dissys have an external amp, like the 94 disco I just bought, but were known to fail in the advance diaphram, which is the problem with mine, and the reason I got it so cheap.
1985 110, 3.9 auto