pulley nut size

Technical questions and answers
mattv8

pulley nut size

Post by mattv8 »

can any one tell me the size of the socket that fits the pulley nut? on an 82 version.
why do we do it to our selves!!!
mattv8

Post by mattv8 »

ok, ok, i got it wrong again, there isnt one big nut as i was told, found that out laid on me back fiddling as you do trying to sort out something that you cant see, n low n behold couldn't feel a nut, then relised there are lots of little bolts all round the crank handle fitment, so back to the drawing board i suppose... :oops: :oops:
primsil

Post by primsil »

the six small bolts hold the pulleys onto the damper. The crank bolt is a large bolt, about 30mm I think, if you remove the pulleys it will be easier to get at.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
mattv8

Post by mattv8 »

All i wanted to do is turn the engine so i could time it better, rather than rock the landy in 2nd gear, its not easy getting T.D.C when you busy rocking it... :lol:
primsil

Post by primsil »

real easy to turn it by the pulley/ fanbelt when you have all the plugs out :wink:
1985 110, 3.9 auto
Larry

Post by Larry »

Why not just use the Starting handle? Only about £5. Comes in handy when you need the move the wagon a little bit with a non-functioning engine (Plugs out makes all the difference!)
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Ah, the crank handle. Pretty cool party trick being able to start the engine by hand. Until the handle gave up and bent on me when I tried to start the engine one time. When it was on petrol I could start it on half a turn... Can't do that now that it is on gas...
Larry

Post by Larry »

Must admit that I've never managed to actually start the wagon on the starting handle (tried once out of curiosity). It was quite useful when moving it on the drive when the engine was knackered ("Ice cold in Alex" Style) and turning the engine to get the timing done.

StirlSilver, you must have arms like Popeye to bend the handle! :D
Larosto

Post by Larosto »

Hi,

as far as I know, the big nut is 34 mm. I have the 1981 version of a Stage One.

regards

Horst
Raggylad

Post by Raggylad »

All of the above prompted me to have a look, as my '83 110 has a starting handle still mounted in the original clips in the back. Checked the crankshaft end - no starter dog !

A mystery to me. The engine is the original and shows no signs of ever having been out in its 77K miles. Any ideas ?

Out of curiosity, had a quick check of the 'usual suspect' suppliers. New starter dog from Craddocks ? A snip at nearly £30 + VAT !
1983 110 V8 Station Waggon - LPG converted

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so much fun as messing about in boats
mattv8

Post by mattv8 »

mine dosnt have a nut, it has lots of small one round the inside of the pulley, & think il just knock something up for the pulley socket rather than buy one..
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Matt,

There has to be a big nut in the middle. If not then its going to come flying off soon!

If you have the flat bolt rather than the starter dog one then it will be very hard to see from above.

The ring of small bolts hold the pulley and damper together.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website