timing marks

Technical questions and answers
mattv8

timing marks

Post by mattv8 »

ive been trying to set up the timing on my landy only to find out today that i mite have been working to the wrong timing mark, can any one post a pic or tell me where i can find a clear pic off the timing mars so i can have a look, cant seem to get it all, as in, itl start really well but wont run great, or runs great but wont restart when its hot, (that could be a connection fault as when messed with coil live it started) on the way home it wouldn't run very well but after id stopped to buy something on the way home it wouldn't start again, moved the distributor to see if would help, didnt at the time, but when got it going again it flew rest of the way home, just got to see if itl start ok when its cold, just got to where it would start cold by a bit of choke n turn key, befor had to pump the throttle bout 5 times to get it to start... hpoe some one can help with pic of timing marks...
why do we do it to our selves!!!
primsil

Post by primsil »

easiest way to check is to take all the plugs out and hold a finger over no1 plug hole, turn the engine over by hand, (use the fan belt is easiest unless you have a helper) until you feel the compression in no1, then use a screwdriver carefully in the plug hole to feel when the piston gets to the top, then you should see the timing marks lining up. The dizzy should also be pointing at #1.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
mattv8

Post by mattv8 »

troub is cant turn by hand, think its got somit to do with the hi-lift cam, so going to have to make something to go into the crank handle slot i think..
why do we do it to our selves!!!
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Dont have a pic of the timing marks I am afraid but beware they are notorious for being wrong. I had another problem with mine, the pointer was missing!

I had to buy a new pointer, bolt it to the timing case and then cleaned the front pulley up, scratched the crap out of the marks on it and painted them with tipex so they would show up on a timing light.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website