Stage 1 stub axles!

Technical questions and answers
Aryoch

Stage 1 stub axles!

Post by Aryoch »

Hi!

I just joined the other day - there's a piccy of my stage 1 in the introductions.
:D

I have a small issue somebody might be able to shed some light on???? My right hand stub axle is grooved where the outer bearing sits and I would like to replace it. Unfortunately, here in Canberra, Aus - Stage 1 stub axles appear to be made of unobtanium. Can't find a new one for love nor money. :!: :(

Has anybody else had any similar issues? Is there a source available anywhere for them or perhaps a county stub axle will fit???????

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Adrian
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

I've got a complete spare front diff housing at home and I might be able to flog off the stub axle off it... but it's heavy and the postage will be a killer. (its in queensland).

For some reason I thought when you originally meant stub axle I thought CV... dunno why.
1toughV8

Post by 1toughV8 »

Adrian,
Have you tried Discovery Automotive in Perth???? Talk to a guy named Julien there and he should be able to hook you up????

Chris
Aryoch

Post by Aryoch »

Hi Stirling and Chris
Thanks for your replies,

Stirling - if you have a good Stub axle and are happy to part with it I would be very interested - I'm happy to pay the postage and discuss a price?

Your reply in the introductions you mentioned a Maxi Drive conversion - I put Maxi-Drive inner axles in the front also after snapping an original axle coming out of the Brindabella's in the ACT. Wasn't much fun at the time! :oops: But all the rest in the front is standard - CV's, Diff's etc.

You sound like your converting to a different CV totally?

Anyway - back to Stub axles! Chris - thanks for the suggestion of Discovery Auto in Perth. I might give them a ring tomorrow and see what they have to say. I've tried a fair sample of places on the Eastern seaboard without much luck.

Cheers

Adrian
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

I fly back to queensland next weekend and I'll take a photo of the stub axle for you to tell if you want it or not. I can't remember what the race surfaces were like.

The maxi conversion has been a bit of a headache as it was a 4.7 maxi inner and the stage one has 3.5. I had to get the back of the gear and diff flange machined so it will all fit. I'll be putting it together when I go back :D. As for the CVs, they are the same, the axle I got has the same CVs as what the stage 1 has.
Last edited by stirlsilver on Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aryoch

Post by Aryoch »

Hi Stirling

Photo of the stub axle would be great. I'll look forward to hearing from you. :)
I think I read some posts about your fitting the 4.7. It sounded complex so I hope it all fits together well.

Your stage 1 certainly looks like a nice machine and it looks like you have some fun in it. :)

To Chris's suggestion - I rang Discovery Auto in Perth - they can't supply a new stub axle. It was interesting though as apparently for the Defender's etc they machine the surface where the seal runs down and fit a new hardended distance piece. Which doesn't solve my particular problem but useful to know.

Cheers

Adrian