A question of speed.

Technical questions and answers
meph373

A question of speed.

Post by meph373 »

Hello all,

I just got home from the Land Rover Fest. I was given much "advice" on how to properly increase the highway speed on my Stage 1. One camp is for installing Range Rover diffs. Another is telling me to change out the Transfer gears for Ranger Rover ones. The first group paled a bit at this suggestion saying that the Transfer case is nothing to fool with. Still another group says to leave it all alone because it drops my take off speed way down.

So, whats the scoop here lads? Diffs or transfer gears? If I change out both doesn't that make it exactly like a Range Rover? Are they slow off the block?

I did come home with a new manifold and SU carbs. I would imagine I would get at least a moderate gain in speed as I sacrifice my fuel economy. Where exactly should red line be on my tach? 3000 puts be at about 60-65.

I also bought a second overdrive unit. I still need linkage for it though as well as the gear needed to mate it all together. I almost bought the gear at LRF but I want to be sure if the LT95 has the same shaft. If anyone needs an overdrive I would be willing to part with one.

Cheers!

Eric
mattv8

Post by mattv8 »

hey, nice landy you got there. you can do it either way realy, its prob best to see which would be the best way cost wise realy, difs can be expensive & if you buy second hand ones they might be as good as the ones you take off, you can get rang rover transfer gears off the internet, & yes it will reduce you pull away a bit but the v8 can handle that, or you can take a look at ashcroft transmissions, they do higher gear transfer box gears bout 32% so its really what you would like to do. its also a good idea to get a monthly landy mag, lots of stuff in them & other forums you can try aswell, they also have for sale sections on them & they have range rover sections on them so you mite b able to find what you looking for as the stage ones use a lot of range rover parts.
why do we do it to our selves!!!
Mik

Post by Mik »

Glencoyne put in higher Disco gears in my transfar case - highly recommended as is only affects your gearing in High, not low. Changing the diffs will also affect your Low box gearing - Not recommended for steep descents :)
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1982 109 V8 SIII CSW Stage One
1982 109 V8 SIII HCPU Stage One
1990 RRC Vogue SE
Larosto

Post by Larosto »

Hi,

I rebuilt the engine of my stage one, overhauled and adjusted the carbs (Stromberg), and took the restrictors out.Then I installed an overdrive.
Now thw car does about 140 km/h on the highway. Fuel consumption is about 15 ltrs on 100 km, when going about 110 km/h.
I think thats good. You should pay attention because of your breaks.
Someone in this forum said, his car runs like a rocket, but it breaks like an oiltanker. Could become dangerous. So don`t make it to fast.

good luck and lots of fun

Horst
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

I got a HiCap with an overdrive and am quite happy doing 75.I got about 16 to the gallon on the Billing trip last year.The linkage is very hard to come by as is a sound clutch sleeve. They are not the same as the smaller Series unit.
Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

I remember when I used to have the original transfer gears, I could take off up a moderate hill in second gear without a worry!

Anyway, I've changed the transfer gears to the range rover ones and have 30" tyres (smaller then original) and I am sitting on 3000RPM at 110 Km/h. Well worth it, however the gears are expensive new ($600 Australian!)
meph373

70MPH at 3000RPM

Post by meph373 »

Interesting. I am pretty much getting that now. I am about to fit those SU carbs this week. I would imagine the power to RPM ratio will boost my speed a bit.

It seems to me that the cost for new diffs doesn't really make the speed gain that worthwhile. Could someone go into more detail on the Disco transfer gears solution; possibly including parts numbers?

Also, any clue what RPMs constitutes too much? Is cruising at 3000 RPM liable to shake the screws loose or push oil out of the seals?

I have more questions but I will post them in another topic.

Eric
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Fitting range rover diffs wont make any difference as you already have them! They are 3.54:1 the same as a range rover, standard series 3's are 4.7:1

You can fit higher ratio transfer gears from an early range rover. Disco gears wouldnt fit as they are for a different transferbox.

Fitting an overdrive is by far the best option in my opinion. You get a decent cruising speed, mine would happily sit at 70MPh on the motorway with out screaming its guts out, plus you get the acceleration/towing capability of having lower geared 1st to 4th.

I replaced my Stombergs with a pair of SU's and pulled the restrictors out of the inlet manifold whilst I was at it. After this it really flew. The other thing that made a big difference was sorting the ignition out so it ran really smotth.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website