Tuning

Technical questions and answers
Bushman

Tuning

Post by Bushman »

Hi there, i like to know whats to do to tune my Stage One onto Range Rover level. What i did ,is that i remove the both round things under each carb.( sorry i dont find the right translation for that) what have i to change on the carb. itself? cheers , Roland
The Way is the target !!
Skye Stage 1

Post by Skye Stage 1 »

Hi there,
the parts you removed from the carburettor are the restrictors - if I remember correctly, they take power from around 90bhp to 135bhp, which is low-compression Range Rover spec anyway. If you want a higher compression engine, then you'd have to either re-work the unit you have, or track down a higher compression unit from a later Range Rover.

I imagine the carburettors you have are the Zenith-Strombergs - these came as standard on all Stage 1s, as far as I know, and some Range Rovers. If you want to change to SUs, which are more reliable and can give a little bit more performance, then you can take a set from any V8 pre fuel-injected Discovery, or the Rover SD1/P5 or 6, or some Range Rovers.

I hope this helps.

Wilf.
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Wilf
I think youll find the earlier V8s had SUs. My 78 Range Rover & my 83 Stage 1 have SUs..
Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
Skye Stage 1

Post by Skye Stage 1 »

From what I've heard, when Solihull had the V8s in production, there weren't quite enough carbs to go round, so they interchanged. My '79 Rangie came with Strombergs from the factory, and I thought all the Stage 1s did, but I must be wrong there.
Basil

Post by Basil »

Skye Stage 1 wrote:From what I've heard, when Solihull had the V8s in production, there weren't quite enough carbs to go round, so they interchanged. My '79 Rangie came with Strombergs from the factory, and I thought all the Stage 1s did, but I must be wrong there.
No i think your right, your stage 1 should have left the factory with stromberg's fitted, if it's on s/u's then they have been fitted at a later date.

Cheer's Baz
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
Skye Stage 1

Post by Skye Stage 1 »

Nice to know I'm not yet senile - thanks for re-affirming my faith in my mental state, Basil! I think one of the reasons the Stage 1s came with Strombergs was because the restrictors were designed to fit them, and them only - and a Landy that came out of Solihull with SUs was never fitted with restrictors.