Your views on thermostats please chaps...

Technical questions and answers
mictho

Your views on thermostats please chaps...

Post by mictho »

Hi Guys,

I was puzzling over whether my Stage-1 V8 needs a thermostat? I've got three manuals, including the Range Rover green repair manual and none show a thermostat. Problem is that the bugger is running wayyyyy too cool. The temp clock does never move into the N bit. (C = cool, N = normal, H = hot). It always sits righ on the line between C and N. It can't be right, can it??

What is your take on this? I would love to fit a thermostat to the engine to have it running at a cosier 70-75C, it reckon it's better for wear of the components etc. I suppose that if the engine isn't running warm enough the piston/bore clearance will be too big and I'll get blowby and higher oil consumption. Is there any discernable truth in this assumption?

Cheers guys! :)

Michel
Basil

Re: Your views on thermostats please chaps...

Post by Basil »

mictho wrote:Hi Guys,

I was puzzling over whether my Stage-1 V8 needs a thermostat? I've got three manuals, including the Range Rover green repair manual and none show a thermostat. Problem is that the bugger is running wayyyyy too cool. The temp clock does never move into the N bit. (C = cool, N = normal, H = hot). It always sits righ on the line between C and N. It can't be right, can it??

What is your take on this? I would love to fit a thermostat to the engine to have it running at a cosier 70-75C, it reckon it's better for wear of the components etc. I suppose that if the engine isn't running warm enough the piston/bore clearance will be too big and I'll get blowby and higher oil consumption. Is there any discernable truth in this assumption?

Cheers guys! :)

Michel
I would fit one mate the engine is designed to run at an optimum temprature, When i changed mine i had a hell of a job getting an air lock out of the top of the carb's and the cure i got from a v8 specilist who i can't remember sorry, but what to do is drill a smaal hole in the out side of the stat, brilliant run's at norm no prob's whatsoever :D
Hope this is of some help Basil
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Hi,

There should be a thermostat fitted to your engine. It should be at the front of the inlet manifold where the radiator top hose fits. It could be that yours is faulty or has been removed. Common trick is to remove the thermostat to hide an overheating problem.

There are 3 temperatures of thermostats for the V8: 74, 82 & 88 degrees. I had an 88 in mine and the heater worked great, the cooling system ran fine and it never overheated.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
mattv8

Post by mattv8 »

read some where that you need to keep thermostats in as if you remove

them it changes the way your engine runs, presure, temp, ect, it could be

yours was remove also due to rad prob.
why do we do it to our selves!!!
mictho

Post by mictho »

Hey Guys,

thanks for getting back. I reckon you all have a point here about that the thermostat may have been removed because there's another problem in the cooling system... grr..... I hope not tho. I'll get one and fit it, let's see what happens. I can always take it out anyways.

So far I've never had it creep any higher that just above cold, even in the dead heat of summer, so I think the cooling system may be alright.

I need to ask some other question on driveline slack, but I'll create a new post for that. Thanks anyways!! :)

Mich
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Hi Mich,
I've got a 74 degree thermostat in my engine at the moment and it sits right on the line between C and N, so I'm thinking you might have the same thermostat installed as I do. The lower engine temperature has let me run more advanced timing without detonation and a little more power as a result.