Gearbox swap

Technical questions and answers
jonnyboy

Gearbox swap

Post by jonnyboy »

I finally got around to starting on my gearbox swap today. There are 4 main variants of the LT95 all of which have differences that prevent them from being a straight swap. the versions are Stage 1, Range Rover, 101 & 110 V8. I picked up an LT95 that came out of a 110 V8 a few weeks ago.

Its basically the same gear box but does have a couple of differences that require taking some parts from the old gearbox.

Spot the difference????

The handbrake mechanism is different

and the handbrake is its self is different.

These to are not a major problem. Just a couple of bolts and they come straight off.

What is slightly more of a pain is that the front and rear output flanges/shafts are different and need swapping.

Rear

and front

So far I have managed to swap all of these bits over and refitted the stage 1 handbrake. Tomorrow I plan to replace things like reverse and diff lock light switches and generally tart it all up a bit prior to refitting.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Larosto

Post by Larosto »

Hi John,

I did the gearbox swap a few month ago. I fitted a range gear box, changed intermidiate gears, because the range gear box was overgeared. Then I fitted an overdrive. Runs good now. I had to change all the things you mentioned, and also the speedo drive gear. Changing the gearbox was not difficult, but it was much work.
Wish you good luck.

Horst
firemanshort

That could be me

Post by firemanshort »

I have a unknown age / condition LT95 gearbox in the floor of the garage. I bought it because it was attached to an overdrive. I think it came from a Range Rover. It does not have a bell housing attached.

I have my Stage One tore to bits now - for a seperate project. The Stage One's gearbox has the typical whine or whirr noise that everyone else seems to have.

I am faced with a decision. Do I try to swap the whole gear box or just the overdrive?

The lazy germ is biting me and I am thinking I will just live with the noise and swap over the Over Drive - especially since the other transmission could - theoretically - have the same noise. I would hat to swap everything over and be where I started. Plus - the weather is great and I need to quit working on this thing and start driving it.

What says the community?
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

just go over drive, get a louder stereo.
"If it ain't v8, take it back"
jonnyboy

Its in!

Post by jonnyboy »

Couldn't continue working yesterday as I appear to have pulled something in my back hauling the gearbox around on Saturday. Have refitted the box but still have to sort all the cables, clutch etc etc

I haven't transfered the overdrive yet as I want to give the box a run out first to see if its as good as promised.

Jon - M1CQO

My Website
Larosto

LT 95 and overdrive

Post by Larosto »

Hi all together, hi firemanshort

Perhaps this may help you: Fitting an overdrive is a rather easy job, but you must pay attetion: After the snap ring and the main gear being removed, the main shaft is able to float towards the front of the car. This MUST NOT happen, under no circumstances, because the thrust washer may fall down, and must be centralised new. This happened to me, and I can tell you, it is very much work. So if you want to fit the overdrive gear, you better should secure the main shaft, so that it isn`t able to flow.
My overdrive howls a little bit, not serious; but by rpm getting lower, I think it helps to save fuel. I´m pleased to have fitted it, beacause I have more gears. For example, if you drive up a long hill, the fourth gear is sometimes to long, but the third is to short. In this case you can use third gear and overdrive engaged.
My old LT 95 was rather noisy. I don`t know how much miles it has done, so I bought a new one which has done about 40000 km from an accident car. I opened the gearbox, and it was totally clean and looking like new inside. After fitting this gearbox, there was also a little noise, but not loud. People who drove the Lt 95 in the past told me, that this gearboxes are allways a little bit noisy- don`t care about it. (Haynes Service and repair manual "Range Rover" says nearly the same).
If I were you, I would drive the noisy gearbox with the overdrive being fitted this summer. Maybe, the next winter will bring time enough to overhaul the gearbox, then you will be secured to have a good one.
I do so myself. I will rebuild my gearbox next winter, because doing a good job needs time.

good luck and regards

Horst
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

I have to agree with you, I wouldn't be without my overdrive. I have had one on all of my Land Rovers. The one I have I fitted last year and it has been great. I didn't notice the shaft move when I fitted it but I will ewatch otu for it when i swap it over.

Thanks for the tip

Jon - M1CQO

My Website
Raggylad

Post by Raggylad »

I'm interested in your overdrives. I have a 4 speed LT95 on my (very early) '83 110, but had been told that it was not suitable to work with an O/D. I presume my box must be pretty similar to those on Stage 1s - so what O/D works and where can I get hold of one ?

Nick
1983 110 V8 Station Waggon - LPG converted

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so much fun as messing about in boats
Larosto

Post by Larosto »

Hi Raggylad,

the overdrive should fit to your LT 95 too. As far as I know, it fits to all LT95 gearboxes. It has been instaled in the old Range Rovers, in Stage Ones and in early 110 V8. I bought mine in the Netherlands, there is someone who restores overdrives. I paid about 450 Euro, with warranty for a half year.
I`m peasured with mine, in spite of beeing a little noisy. Have a look at Johnny`s side, I think there is a manual about the overdrive. Overdrives for LT 95 are rather rare. You must look intensivly, if you want to find one. I saw one somewhere on google, it was for sale in Switzerland a few month ago.
In Germany I know one for sale, but it costs about 900 Euro, beeing rather new and compete with all details.

regards

Horst
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Landrover-overdri ... dZViewItem

Here's one on ebay.

As far am I'm aware there is only one overdrive that will fit Series V8 Land Rovers and they are all the same apart from levers.

I purchased one from ebay about a year ago and it sat in the basement for 7 months whilst looking for a set of levers to make it work. With luck a set turned up on ebay and I won the items at a premium. My misses was not impressed of the lumps of metal for a decent amount of cash.

Fitment was easy and it was worth every penny. I have returned 20mpg at 50mph forced by following a mate with a car transport trailer. I can leave it permanently engaged whilst pottering around. However it increase the whirring noise this post first mentioned.

Also for sale is what appears to be the overdrive coupling for the V8 Overdrive. I may be wrong but the 4cyl ones have a Brass/Bronze toothed ring this one looks like the one I had to fit into the LT95 Box.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-FAIREY ... dZViewItem
firemanshort

see Ginga for shifting levers

Post by firemanshort »

For those seeking the proper shifting levers - see Ginga. He has a pattern from genuine parts to re-create new parts.

-Firemanshort
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Raggylad

Post by Raggylad »

Thanks guys. Food for thought.

Nick
1983 110 V8 Station Waggon - LPG converted

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so much fun as messing about in boats
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

I have a Range Rover Overdrive fitted with the RR leaver. I have just removed the centre seat and the leaver sticks up through a lot I have cut in the edge of the panel that covers the hole in the seat box.

Jon - M1CQO

My Website
Ginga

Post by Ginga »

Hi Guys

I do indeed have the pattern for the linkage (Thankyou Firemanshort) I have had it rengineered and it works fine.

It cost a lot for sand casts etc (Laser cut could not get the angles) but I now have a mould blank and the ability to make more as and when required.

Initially I also did as Johny boy did and cut a slot in the middle seat but hated the draught, hence the reengineer route to get the lever by the bukhead.

BTW now on my third gearbox swap so getting quite good at it. And had the same problems as eveyone else.

First has just failed so another swap is on the way :cry: However i will end up with a spare with overdrive out of all the mashed pieces. The troble is you cant test a box on the floor very well until its in.
Theres always a way !
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Did a test on the A2 tonight with Overdrive in 2500rpm equates to 65mph.