Air Filter

Technical questions and answers
Dante

Air Filter

Post by Dante »

Hi all,
finally got my Stage 1. I am pretty excited !!!

Trying to build up my spare-kits and have some questions around the air filter/cleaner.

I found on a website a filter which looks like this

Note the rubber flange around it.
The filter (some coopers filter) I have in now does not have this flange. Any thoughts on that?

Also ... I prefer K&N Filters (we get lots of dust and they are washable) ... anybody has used them before and can tell me which part number to look for.
1981 Stage 1
1969 2a (ex Australian army)
Dante

Post by Dante »

Nobody any thoughts and/or advice on this?
1981 Stage 1
1969 2a (ex Australian army)
mattv8

Post by mattv8 »

i think the flange is diff on diff filtters, ive used k&ns with no prob, didnt ues them for a great length of time as i put a 4 barrel webber on it so there are in good nick, but i used them on su carbs, dint know if theyl fit stronbourgs type, if theyl fit & your intrested, let me know & im sure we could sort out a deal...
why do we do it to our selves!!!
Skye Stage 1

Post by Skye Stage 1 »

I think the filter you have pictured is for the 'drum' type air cleaner (I'm not sure of the correct term) - I think Stage 1s usually had two air filters, like early V8 Rangies. As far as K&Ns go, I like them, and have thought about fitting two of the 'cone' types to the Strombergs I have - if you do do this, you will need to change to richer needles to get the best from the new filters, as they should be much more free flowing.
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

I had thes open air filters on, but it didn't seem to work.
ZS and SU carbs are based on vacuum to lift the mambrane. If there is not enough vacuum they wil not be lifted enough.
Skye Stage 1

Post by Skye Stage 1 »

I had thes open air filters on, but it didn't seem to work.
ZS and SU carbs are based on vacuum to lift the mambrane. If there is not enough vacuum they wil not be lifted enough.
As I understand it, that's one of the reasons why you need to fit the richer needles. The carbs should work fine with free-flowing filters, but only if they are set up correctly. It seems to be a common misconception that one can just fit a different air-filter, and not need to make any further adjustments. Although in some cases this may work (though I would be surprised if the engine were operating at its optimum) it is not adviseable. However, careful fitting and set-up should mean a small increase in performance.
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

At the end I had it running so rich that it wouldn't even keep running on idle. Could make it to work perfectly on low en med revs, it got of like a bullit, but in the upper revs still missing power..