Snorkel???

Technical questions and answers
filthychimp03

Snorkel???

Post by filthychimp03 »

my car came with a large pipe that looks like a snorkel...and there are air vents in the roof, are the vents for snorkeling, or did all stage 1 v8s have them. did series land rovers even ever have snorkels? :?
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

The airvents in the roof are called a safari roof. The idea is that you open them in hot weather. The air flowing through the gap between the roof and the extrra panel bolted on top comes into the vehicle to cool you as your driving accross the african savanna looking at lions :lol:

Snorkle's (raised air intakes) have always been optional accessories on landies. You can fit one to a stage 1 easily enough but dont expect to use it for wading through deep water without a lot of other work.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

here are some pics of what i believe to be a snorkel or something, the one with the pipe maybe some other sort of air filter.
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Max,

Your right that is part of the air intake system.

The part in the top picture attaches to the intake on your air filter box with a short piece of flexi hose.

The part in the 2nd picture attaches to the top of the exhaust manifold (Left hand side as you look at the engine from the front).

The first part attaches to the short inlet on the second part.

Does that make sense?

Have a look at the pictures here they show it better than I can explain.

The system is designed to allow the engine to draw warmed air in.

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

My Website
filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

thank you so much, the part from the air intake system attaches to something which i thought didn't look complete also the other piece was not attached...could this lead to the car being extremely smelly? cus it is at the moment.
max
filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

jon,
do you know where i can get screws that would screw on the tower-type-thing and attach the pipe to the tower and the metal thing on the pipe to my air filter??? also it turns out i have three extra steps in my spares box...do you know where i can get bolts to put those on?
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Max,

A bolt is a bolt! Your best off working out what size you need and going to your local hardware shop.

To fit the chimney to the exhaust manifold I think you may need to drill and tap the manifold if the original studs are missing or damaged.

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

My Website
filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

ok i'll go to a hardware shop is that the same for screws?
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

yep!

Jon - M1CQO

My Website
filthychimp03

Post by filthychimp03 »

nice
Larry

Post by Larry »

Funny enough I was going to post on a similar topic.

My V8 doesn't have the chimney attached to the manifold, but does have a hole for it. In fact it didn't have the pipe to the air intake originally, but I've fitted that since.

Question is: I can't see that not having the chimney will make any difference except when going through deep water. Does it?

and, is it just a tube with a cowl or is there more to it?
flyingkipper

Post by flyingkipper »

wish mine had one of them too..... winter running has been quite awful at times (especially during warm up) and I'm sure a bit of warmed air would have helped.

Mine's just got an open hole at the front of the air cleaner box and no trunking or chimney thing.

anyone who has one going spare - I will gladly buy it off you!
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

I can't see that not having the chimney will make any difference except when going through deep water. Does it?
Its just for warming the air prior to going into the engine. Its supposed to make it run better in winter but I have never had mine fitted and it runs OK. In fact my intake from the chimney to the air box is in Alaska attached to Articrover!

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

My Website
Larry

Post by Larry »

This is the bit that is missing on mine:

This is the bit you're after flyingkipper:

flyingkipper

Post by flyingkipper »

That's it!!
Think mine has been re-engined at some point and lost a few bits of what someone else thought was trivial, including the spray shield around the dizzy - this is a major pain as it makes running in heavy rain and spray very poor indeed. Very nice of them to have fitted a trick Mallory twin spark dizzy but no good once it's saturated with water!

Noel.