Checker plate wing tops

Technical questions and answers
jonnyboy

Checker plate wing tops

Post by jonnyboy »

I am thinking about fitting some checkerplate to the top of the wings. Being lazy I am probably going to buy some pre cut rather than make some.

The thing is, will series 3 ones fit and look right given the different bonnet?

I thought about defender ones but they have a cut out for the heater inlet.

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Larry

Post by Larry »

They're not too bad to make yourself. A mate of mine priced up the premade ones for his 110 and realised that he could get a massive piece of checkerplate for the same price and cut it himself. Mind you he did use the rest of the checkerplate making silly bits for every other place on a 110 you could possibly use it. :)

I presume your thinkig is that the standard SIII bonnet has got a sharper angle towards the rad on the edges than the Stage 1/110/90 bonnet (being shorter)? If so, I would have thought that the SIII wing top protectors would not run parallel with the bonnet sides and therefore look odd.

You could always try contacting the manufacturers and see if they'll do you a set without the holes, but if they're pressed out rather than cut, they won't easily be able to delete the holes.
Larry

Post by Larry »

Ignore everything I said before! :) I had a look at some Series III wingtop protectors on the net last night. They actually look like they'll do for a Stage 1. It occurred to me that if anything they'd be too wide and could easily be trimmed to fit the Stage 1 bonnet.

They go the full length of the bonnet then wrap over the front, they're full width of the wing at the front, which is the same on a Stage 1 and look about 3-4 inches wide at the bulkhead end, but they did step out and widen towards the front, which may need trimming, or just close the bonnet over it.

Would probably look good.
Basil

Post by Basil »

I have series 3 one's on mine there the same width as 90/110 one's they just don't have the vent hole's cut in them, the bonnet closses over 90/110 one's, i like them have had them on all my truck's.

Cheer's Baz
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
Dante

Post by Dante »

Greetings from Australia.

I am new to Land Rovers, have a 2a, and just about to purchase a Stage 1.

Of course I am already going through all the things I want or need and came across this post.

Without any disrespect or cynisism (hope I spelled that right ... never mind): What is the reasoning of putting checker plates on the truck?

I mean ... leaving aside the optical effect

Thanks, Dante
1981 Stage 1
1969 2a (ex Australian army)
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Strengthening the bodypanels so you can walk on them happily without scratching and denting them..
Dante

Post by Dante »

Manfred wrote:Strengthening the bodypanels so you can walk on them happily without scratching and denting them..
That is just ... a great idea !!!! LOVE IT !!!!!!

How do they get fixed to the body? Some compound?
1981 Stage 1
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Blind rivets and if you like it you can use sikaflex or such to stop water going underneath
Dante

Post by Dante »

Manfred wrote:Blind rivets and if you like it you can use sikaflex or such to stop water going underneath
Excellent ... sounds easier by the moment.
What thickness do you recommend for the plates?
1981 Stage 1
Basil

Post by Basil »

Dante wrote:
Manfred wrote:Blind rivets and if you like it you can use sikaflex or such to stop water going underneath
Excellent ... sounds easier by the moment.
What thickness do you recommend for the plates?
There 3mm I think, much easier to buy them pre cut mate if you can.
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
mattv8

Post by mattv8 »

s111 wing tops do fit as i have done this aswell, & also 110 bonnet protectors do fit, you just need to pull the hing end sides to the bonnet when you rivet it in place...
mattv8

Post by mattv8 »

if you look in mays LRM, P90, REBEL 4X4 selling wing tops 4 s111s £27 pair!!! :D
why do we do it to our selves!!!