Disc brakes and power steering

Technical questions and answers
Pyro-Mike

Disc brakes and power steering

Post by Pyro-Mike »

Hi Folks,

I have been restoring / upgrading my Stage 1 and I have seen the disc brake conversion from zeus but it costs £600+, does anyone have experience of doing a disc brake conversion and whats the best one?

Also, in the forums a few of you have done power steering mods, I thought a range rover power steering box would fit but it doesnt look that simple. How have you guys done it?

Cheers

Mike
X reg stage 1 V8 Van Body in original condition.
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

Hi Mike
I fitted the Zeus kit to mine as I thought it was the best way to go when I had no end of trouble with the front brakes on mine. I admit the 600 quid price was a bit :shock: but I think I could have spent that and probably more trying to sort the original front brakes. It was a good investment and the brakes are 100 times better than they were.
I got my power steering kit from a guy at the LRO show 2 years ago and fitted it back in the spring. It originaly came from a stage 1 Simba that was an armoured truck used by the RUC, so it went on without too many problems, but I still had to do a bit of fabrication and have still got to do a bit of fetttling to get it 100%, but I am very pleased with the result. It does make it a much nicer drive, and I can get stuck in car parks with a lot less effort than I did before!!
If you fancy having a look at mine, I am only in Gloucester, not too far away from yourself. Drop me a PM.
All the best,
Huzey.
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

Hi Mike.
Just seen your other question on General Discussion. They dont alter the track of the vehicle so no spacers needed. Also, I just remembered that after purchasing mine, I found that Bearmach do a disc brake conversion for series Landy's for 464.13. I didn't look any further into wether it fits the stage 1 axle as I had already bought mine, but could be worth a look. Part no of the kit is BA2165. Price from Winter 2005 catalogue.
Regards Huzey.
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
Pyro-Mike

Post by Pyro-Mike »

Hi Huzey

Thanks for the reply, I have done some research and the kit is still listed, my local supplier can contact Bearmach on Monday to find out if it will fit.

I will drop you a PM after Christmas when I have the vehical back on the road. I am currently fitting parabolics, gas shocks and a replacement V8 (hence the disc brakes :wink: ) as the original V8 needs a ground up rebuild.

Cheers

Mike
onno wielinga

Post by onno wielinga »

those kits only fit after changing the stub-axles too; "the stage one-ones"
have big bearings on both the in-and outside.
the older stubaxles have a smaller bearing on the inside (or the other way around) and suit these kits and also the kit from ti-console.
this kit has changed to the latest santana ventilated discs.

good news!!!!!!!!

the bad news is i stil haven't found some funds to buy this kit.

how much would i get if i sold the wive and the children....... :twisted: :twisted: 8) :lol: :D
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

Hi Onno
I wondered if that might be the case. Thats what put me off the TI Console kit, as well as the price!!!
Regards Huzey
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
Pyro-Mike

Post by Pyro-Mike »

:( Bearmach no longer supply the kit as their supplier has gone bust, and with all the changing of stub axles and grinding 2 patches to allow bolts to fit makes me think I'll just have to save up for a Zeus kit, which means wolf rims and a new set of tyres to fit

Ouch .......
onno wielinga

Post by onno wielinga »

look at http://www.rockymountain.nu/home_uk_bes ... ge0004.htm

it looks very much like the ticonsole kit. this kit is based on general motor parts.

i haven't discovered the price yet.

the importer for england and ireland is based in ireland, for the rest of europe in the hetherlands.

this set also has the ventilated discsand can be used with all landrover rims.