Uncooperative Brake Drum

Technical questions and answers
punter

Uncooperative Brake Drum

Post by punter »

Got any tricks for removing an uncooperative brake drum?

I just figured I'd disassemble the hub, remove both the hub and drum together, then try to bang them apart.

But, I wanted to see if anyone has a trick that might be easier, before I go that route.
cheers,
punter
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

I thought the hardest part was getting those damn coutersunk screws out! Heat is always your friend when it comes to parts that are seized together. Get a blow torch and warm it up then tap it with a hammer, always works for me!
glencoyne

Post by glencoyne »

Hit the face of the drum - not the edge, and especially not the rim, with the biggest hammer you can find. Screw the wheel nuts a few turns onto the studs first, so you do not hit the ends of the studs and damage them. Even the most stubborn drum will 'bounce' free in the end. If it still does not shift, you are using too small a hammer.

Richard
martin hughes

Post by martin hughes »

I use a big copper hammer, this will not damage the drum or cause splinters.
1982 109 V8 Station Wagon
1965 88 Short Wheel Base
cat3412

Post by cat3412 »

if it is the front drums that you are wrestling with , if you look at the wheel stud P.C. D you will see a 3/8 unc tapped hole for a jacking bolt. Just wind in the jacking bolt and the drum will pop off.
P.S. Dont forget to back off the adjusters first.

Regards Cat 3412
punter

Post by punter »

glencoyne wrote:Hit the face of the drum - not the edge, and especially not the rim, with the biggest hammer you can find. Screw the wheel nuts a few turns onto the studs first, so you do not hit the ends of the studs and damage them. Even the most stubborn drum will 'bounce' free in the end. If it still does not shift, you are using too small a hammer.

Richard
Yep, that did the trick... just kept borrowing bigger hammers 'til I got one that'd pop it loose. It took a small sledge, but both drums popped off like nothing... no damage to any parts either.

Thanks for the advice!
cheers,
punter