Howdy, Names Stirling

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

ahh, it's all good fun. We do some silly stuff at times but it's a landrover. If something breaks, I can fix it :D. I really need to get some new heads for it tho... the smoke is embarrasing!!
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Hmm, boredom strikes again :D I stuffed up the encoding of this one so the video has ended up with a black frame on it. Oh well... Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi2EZ4LY7CE
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Well, I this weekend just gone was spent at Land Cruiser mountain national park with a 4wd club. Great time, however did a little bit of damage to the left skirting panel under the door on the left hand side. Had more trouble then the other cars in number of areas. Car seems to be too light since I would loose traction fairly frequently AND I need bigger tyres... I need more diff clearance!!!

However, it performed really well on the rock crawling through a number of extreme tracks, was a lot of fun!!! Anyway, some photos have trickled through and a utube video will be on the way.

(My friends patrol has dual lockers and MUCH bigger tyres... grr still need to sort out my maxidrive)

Sorry, just fixed the broken links to the photos
Last edited by stirlsilver on Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Here is a video of Camp Road. It was rated on the map as extreme. Lots of fun but it did do a bit of panel damage!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUTCa8nbAvk
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Well, at last. It is installed.

My stage one now has a front MaxiDrive locker. And boy oh boy can I get up some crazy stuff now... I only wish I had power steering when it is engaged!!!

stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Ok so an update,
I have now finished uni (Supposedly an Aeronautical Engineer now?!?) and am about to go back to QLD for the holidays and i'm gearing up for some more work on the car :D.

The plan:

Fit a Range Rover front drive shaft I won on Ebay ($20) to compensate for the Series IIA diff housing I am using for the MaxiDrive.

Install the EFI intake manifold and make a snorkel out of the 3" aluminium pipe I have been able to get my hands on (freebie).

Yes... it was a traffic boom once upon at time...

Get rid of the awful scoop and finally place checker plate in the recess and wingtops.

The aluminium is waay to reflective so we will probably paint it.

Buy a set of 33" Mickey Thompson Claws ($400) from my friend and fit them to the $51 set of rims I won on ebay :D

The rims:

The Tyres:

I Can't wait!!!!
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

big plans, keep us up to date, lots of pics, on the efi conversion, those rims must way tons!! those tyres will help out heaps!! best of luck!!
"If it ain't v8, take it back"
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

It isn't an EFI conversion, i'm using the EFI manifold with the injector ports welded up and I will be installing the gas mixer ring on the throttle body. The throttle cable will be an interesting job.
Stirling
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Instead of welding the injector holes up, I made threads in it, screwed inbus bolts in and grinded off the bolt ends wich block the inlet port. Nice and clean solution without putting too much heat in the alloy so the manifold will not bend.

The throttle cable problem is something a am going to cope with in the coming days, hopefully it won't be too much of a problem, but we'll see :)

Good luck and keep us up to date with pictures, I love watching other projects
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Ok... first spanner in the works... The Range Rover drive shaft I bought is both too short and has the wrong flange on the gearbox side... Looks like i'm going to need to use wedges and rotate the whole axle...
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

When you are planning to rotate the axle and change the angle of the diff, please keep in mind that you can't get the oil in the diff up to normal level without replacing your plug.. Bummer when the diff breaks down after all this work because there wasn't enough oil in it..
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Well, we fixed the vibration problem by making up some wedges. We rotated the diff by about 7 degrees or so which isn't enough to get it back to the factory angle, but the vibration is gone now so i'm happy :D

I'm now setting my sights on the other jobs. Starting to make arrangements for the intake modification. And I've also started taking a look at the new tyres... here is a photo of the size comparison!

Seems like i'm going to have to do some modifications so they don't rub on anything when the suspension is compressed. I'm picking the rims up tomorrow!

Stirling
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Ok,
Some photos of the work on the intake manifold. We've started making the necessary modifications to attach the throttle cable and tensioning spring. The photos pretty much speak for themselves.

Stirling
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

RIGHTO! The EFI manifold is in!!! :lol: It actually all fell together beautifully with only very minor problems occurring. Only problem I have at the moment is figuring out how to fit a temporary air filter on it and then the future snorkel.

Anyway, here are the photos of todays work.

Stirling

stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Righto, did a tempo air filter setup while I sort out a snorkel AND FINALLY gotten rid of that horrid scoop!!! :D

Stirling