Howdy, Names Stirling

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

landdani wrote:Hi, remember it is an old stage1 and not a Formula1 car :lol:
A clean engine is a royality.
Did you had to remove the carb. to replace the second hand set of orange cables ? Did you said their was differant in performance ?
Hi Landdani, yes I know it isn't a sports car, but I wanted to see what I could do to neaten the ingition leads. Because I will continue working on my Discovery Ute after this, I used it as an opportunity to experiment. And it turned out well. As for performance, it is too early to tell, I haven't tuned the engine yet.

An no, I didn't have to remove the plenum to fit the cable holders, it would have been easier if I did, but I managed to sqeeze my hand in and do up the bolts.

Anyway, I was in the workshop again this weekend.

Due to old age, the flexible hose on the clutch had perished, so I got a new one made up:

Also, as I had mentioned previously, I was concerned that I had short circuited the coolant flow through the left hand head by fitting the tapping for the coolant to the LPG evaporator.

To give myself some piece of mind, I purchased a nice valve and fitted it in the coolant line of the LPG evaporator:

I then took the car out and ran it a bit more to bed in the engine. Again the usual deal of going up and down the road running through the gears trying to get cylinder pressures up. Anyway, while doing this I slowly closed the valve on the coolant line of the evaporator until I found a point where it didn't get too cold (ended up being about 30% closed).

Aside from that, I pulled out the window frame and removed the window. I need to go and get a new piece of glass cut to suit the frame and refit it:

And that's it for the update.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Hell I just noticed that you've only got one piece of glass! :D

I had to get the two of mine done a while back. Worked out really cheap from a local windscreen repairer. They used toughened caravan glass, cut to size. Then used black Sika to glue it in and seal it.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

1.7m of 100x50mm channel was bought to make the bumper for the car. I had initially thought about making the ends rounded like the original bumper, but after scribing it out the rounded ends on a 50mm deep bumper looked strange.

So, I opted to go for a 45degree chamfer on either end of the bar.

The channel was sliced up with a cutting disc on a grinder and then a heating torch was used to heat the bend line and the bend made. It's just too easy when you use heat!

The ends were filled with weld.

and then started the process of grinding, welding and grinding again until a nice profile was achieved.

I now need to make the mounting tabs, weld them on and paint the bumper.

That's all for now!
hundertneuner

Post by hundertneuner »

Hi! This is really a great thread- keep on going!

Cheers,
Sascha
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

hundertneuner wrote:Hi! This is really a great thread- keep on going!

Cheers,
Sascha
Thanks for the Compliment Sascha. I'm almost to the finish with the car. Just a couple little bits left to do. and then I can send it down to see if I can register it...

I had a very productive day yesterday in the workshop, I think I was there a total of 8 hours.

After an initial hiccup with the first pane of glass which was fitted to the frame, I finally was able to get to bolting in the windshield on the car.

A word of advice, try to avoid using any sealants when installing the window frame... if you ever have to pull it out it makes it very difficult!! This time I just used ordinary strips of neoprene to form the gaskets, as you can see below:

Windshield bolted in:

Next, I moved on to making the mouting brackets for the bumper I had made. Here are 2 cut out and drilled from some 1/4" scrap steel that we had:

I bolted the brackets in on both sides:

And then used some adjustable stands and jacks to hold the bumper in the right position in preparation for tack welding it all together:

To avoid deformation of the brackets while welding, I welded a piece of steel agross each of the mounting brackets to limit the amount of movement that occurrs while welding:

After I was all done, with the welding, she bolted up perfectly:

The welding wasn't the best in the world, but it will definitely hold:

Now I need to get hold of some paint and paint it up, do a couple of other bits and pieces and she's good to go!
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Hey Stirling,

You know it is the usual practice to use adhesive sealants when mounting glass and when it comes to removal it is not normal to try to remove the glass in one piece. Solvents then take care of the excess adhesive. Hope your neoprene keeps the water out ;)

Bumper idea is good. By the way, did you see the thread on AULRO about repairs to LT95s. There were a couple of comments about how fast the TC low ratio intermediate gear clusters spin in relation to engine speed (x2 apparently) and that the bearings are only designed to handle 6000rpm or something even after an upgrade to Torrington bearings. I immediately thought of your TC collapse and the engine revs you were producing prior to that (up to 5000rpm so the lay shaft would be revolving at around 10000rpm). Link do you think?

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/technical-cha ... grade.html

Post #15
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Hi Alan,
I my post I was refereing to using an adhesive between the metal frame and the firewall and the frame and roof. When you do that it makes it very difficult to swing out the window should you want to!

On the intermediate gears in the transfer case. My low range intermediate gear did look like it wasn't far from failing, it had cracks in the case hardening and signs that the gear had gotten too hot. But that wasn't what caused the failure. It was that one of the bolts holding the gear on to the centre differential came out and started floating around inside the casing!

Just brief update.

I had bought one of the glowshift gauges to replace the jaycar digital gauge on the car. This is the item:

I bought it thinking you could simply hook it up to the negative side of your coil, like most gauges and off you go... Not the case with these, they need a positive square wave signal (rather than a switched earth).

So I had to think for a bit and figure out a way to get the signal I needed. I came up with the circuit below:

Here are the bits on a breadboard:

The circuit worked a treat and the gauge started giving me a reading... Only problem I'm having now is that the tacho is giving me a an RPM that is about double what it should be... Can't figure that one out, I'm going to have to contact glowshift and ask them about it.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

haha you crack me up :D

Most people would've just gone and found a rev counter that fitted. But oooooh no not Stirl, he's gotta build one and make it cool too! :D :D

I misunderstood what you meant about the rubber, and yes, that is what I have too. Although I did also use a neutral non-drying sealer afterwards because it still leaked around the top (very annoying having water drip in your lap when you are driving).
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

At LAST!! The car is finished!!

The bumper was painted:

Wayne thankfully located the flywheel cover which suited the gearbox casing I used. Just so everyone knows, below you can see the difference between the two covers (old at the bottom, newer years at the top):

Basically she is ready to roll out for the road worthy:

While having a look underneath, I found that the pinion shaft seal of the rear diff has decided to start leaking... Hopefully it won't be much of an issue for the road worthy...

The tacho is still giving an RPM reading which is higher than the engine RPM, and it isn't the fault of the tacho... I found some unusual spikes on the tacho input when I looked using an oscilliscope.

Anyway, that doesn't matter, next step is some temporary rego and off for road worthy :D
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Good luck :)
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

HID Headlights to be reomoved or made to compy with regs.
Front park light lens broken.
Tint to be removed from side windows.
Front brake wheel cylinders leaking
brakes pull severly to the right. Fault to be repaired.
Drivers seat belt to retract properly.

Sooo... Still some more work to do.

It also appears the car has already sold, once I get the road worthy certificate for it.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Sounds the usual list of stuff.

Good luck with the sale.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Hi All,
Just letting you know that I got the roadworthy for the car today and that it sold this evening.

So, no more stage 1.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback while I owned the car. I hope you enjoy your stage 1s!

Now for the next chapter. The discovery ute!

Stirling
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

On ya Stirl.

Looking forward to getting updates on the Disco on AULRO then ;)

Thanks for the journey.
Alan
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
landdani

Post by landdani »

Hi stirling, life gos on.
the new owner wil get one of most complicated engines.
Wish you all the good with your new disco
wonderful sport!
1984 SeriesIII ex-melitary, 109 inch, V8 stage one