Howdy, Names Stirling

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Sucks :(

Well, as ever Stirling, you did it in style ;)

Will PM you on a LT95.

What caused it? Goodness only knows until you pull it apart, but I wouldn't bother. Just stick a replacement in there.

By the way, why didn't you just undo the drive shafts for towing. Wouldn't the TC go into neutral?
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
landdani

Post by landdani »

The goo thing you steel one peace.
I remember that you wanted to sell your stage1, so their is no escape from (the time and money) to be soled.
wonderful sport!
1984 SeriesIII ex-melitary, 109 inch, V8 stage one
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Hah :D Yep you're bitten by the bug :p
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
landdani

Post by landdani »

Hi stirlsilver, long time no see. :)
wonderful sport!
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Hello everyone.

It's been a while, I was just going to give a quick update. I'm going to soon pull the Stage 1 out and fix the gearbox and a few other bits and pieces. Here is the plan of attack:

Pull out the engine and Gearbox

Try my hand at rebuilding another gearbox that has been given to me (there is claims it jumps out of 2nd gear so I'm going to have to pull it completely to pieces and see if I can sort it out). I'll also try to salvage the Low range gearset out of the stage 1 and fit it into the replacement transfer case.

I'm going to pull the heads off my engine again, pull the pistons out and deglaze the bores, when I changed the head gasket last time I saw the bores were badly glazed and is the reason why I have an oil consumption issue. While i'm at it I will put new rings and con rod bearings. I will also port match the intake ports while it's apart.

Replace the windshield because the current one is cracked.

Get a road worthy inspection and get the car registered again (the rego ran out and I didn't pay it as it was off the road)

When the stage 1 is back on the road I will restart on my disco build.

Stay tuned. I hope to start next weekend.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Looking forward to hearing how it goes mate.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
landdani

Post by landdani »

Hi, did consider pouting gear box of 5 speed? I was told it reduse fuel consumption? So it as the over drive.
wonderful sport!
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Dani,

Depends on gearing ratios, diff ratios, how good the engine is and so many other factors. I do not think that just because you in a 5-speed box your fuel consumption will drop. If it is a real issue there are other places you should start looking first.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5

Post by 5988 »

indeed a 5 speed isnt going to hel any more than your overdrive does (if you have one)
if you don't then the 5 spd will give you better economy (as its has an overdrive top gear, whereas the 4 speed is direct) - but the same effect would be achieved by putting an Od onto the 4 speed
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

The over revving days of my car ended years ago when I fitted the range rover high range transfer gears into the transfer case. From memory they were 0.992 to 1.

With this transfer ratio used the LT95 is perfectly road friendly on 31" tyres. Although I use 33" tyres when I'm offroad.

You should start seeing some photos of the insides of gearboxes apearing soon. I've already read through the LT95 gearbox overhaul manual twice in preparation!!!
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Well, it certainly was good to be able to get back into the nitty gritty of working on my Stage 1... well sort of. Today I was dealing with the replacement gear box that came out of a range rover.

Since this gearbox is known to have a problem of jumping out of 2nd gear, the plan is to strip out everything from the inside and transfer all the good bits from the gearbox in the car into this casing. Anything that is damaged I will have to replace with the original bits that came out of this box.

Anyway, on with the photos.

The Range rover gearbox, from now on refered to as Gearbox 1... the one that is in the car at the moment I will call Gearbox 2. The gearbox sat for ages on the workshop floor with the covers to the transfer case open so it was all full of dust and grit, but its nothing that can't be cleaned up.

The box after I finished with pressure washing and numerous coats of degreaser.

After letting it dry for a while I removed the bell housing, only to discover the bolts of the housing also hold the input shaft bearing plate onto the gearbox, so as I didn't plan on dealing with the gearbox just yet I had to put some of the bolts back in with some spacers to hold it closed.

Next, the output shaft along with the diff lock actuator and locking dog was taken off.

The Centre diff splines that are engaged by the locking dog when the diff lock is turned on... similar to a maxi drive system it seems!

Next, the rear output shaft was to be removed. According to the manual it suggested that you could simply unbolt the flange along with the handbrake drum still attached and it would separate away easily from the centre diff and the transfer case.

When I did this, I suddently found much more bits coming out than I had expected... the centre diff decided to come along also. It isn't much fun when things don't come apart as they are indicated in the manual!

The big hole where the centre diff used to sit.

I ended up needing to pry the centre diff away from the rear output shaft, it wasn't anything difficult but you couldn't get them apart with your hands.

Something tells me that once upon a time the insides of this transfer case let go. There was all sorts of gouges on the area where the centre diff bolts were. Probably the same thing that happened to mine, although they were lucky and didn't end up with a big hole in the side with bolts poking out of it!

Next, the intermediate shaft and gears have to come out.

The manual called up using a shorter shaft which you push in after you have removed the original shaft to allow the whole lot of gears to come out as an assembly. I didn't have this so I simply held on to each gear as it disengaged the shaft as it was pulled out. A variety of shims, plates gears and needle bearings fall out when you are doing all of this so I found myself having to pay careful attention to the order that things were falling off the shaft.

Once the intermediate shaft was removed I placed all the gears back on in the order they came off to make sure it couldn't be stuffed up later.

Next I pulled off the gearbox output gear, It was held in place by a snap ring which was a pain in the arse getting off without proper snap ring pliers, but I got there in the end!

The removed gear

Next will be the gearbox, the main shaft has a spacer in the transfer case compartment which is what is used to space out the output gear in the transfer case. Acording to the manual you need a special puller to pull the spacer off the shaft. I don't have that puller so looks like I might have to get creative and make one. Will have to see when I deal with it tomorrow.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

stirlsilver wrote:It isn't much fun when things don't come apart as they are indicated in the manual!
Haha, Stirling. You crack me up sometimes :D

So hopeful, what are you an engineer or something. :P
stirlsilver wrote:Something tells me that once upon a time the insides of this transfer case let go. There was all sorts of gouges on the area where the centre diff bolts were. Probably the same thing that happened to mine, although they were lucky and didn't end up with a big hole in the side with bolts poking out of it!
That is really interesting. One must assume then that the parts you have taken out were put back in correctly, previously, yes?

As ever, looking dang good mate.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5

Post by 5988 »

id not be sure on that, both the LT95's ive got have alot of marking on the face youve shown ...

I had the opposite problem, couldn't get the centre diff out, book says remove output housings complete...went well that far, then the diff should come out past the other gears....mine wouldn't ....gave up and left it be in the end, seems you have the opposite problem and it all falls apart :lol:
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

And that's why we are drawn to mess about with these damn things.

By the way, is there any way we can get a better looking tongue poking emoticon? I mean this thing :P looks gay. It looks like the grinning smiley ( :D ) with lipstick.

When I type a : and P I would think that I should get this Image .
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

disco2hse wrote:And that's why we are drawn to mess about with these damn things.

By the way, is there any way we can get a better looking tongue poking emoticon? I mean this thing :P looks gay. It looks like the grinning smiley ( :D ) with lipstick.

When I type a : and P I would think that I should get this Image .
Fully agree on the tongue poking emoticon. I see you have used the AULRO emoticon there Image.

Maybe you should just copy and paste that image link from now on instead of doing : P