Fingers crossed, its MOT time!

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
jonnyboy

Fingers crossed, its MOT time!

Post by jonnyboy »

After 3 years, 2 house moves and a lot of blood, sweat and swearing I have just dropped the heap off for its first MOT in 12 years

Hopefully in less than 8 hours time I will have a road legal stage 1 to drive around in :D

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Basil

Post by Basil »

Good luck mate, i am sure it will be a formality :D :D :D
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Guess what I got???????????????????

I am now the proud owner of a fully road legal stage 1 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It actually failed on emissions but the tester let me have half an hour with the CO tester and I had a fiddle with the carbs. Everything else was 100%

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Basil

Post by Basil »

:D :D :D congratulations :D :D :D
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
Bumpkin

SWivels

Post by Bumpkin »

Well done Johnny.
My turn now. Just put my old girl in and i need a pair of swivels.I dont think Series ones fit. I wonder if early R/Rover stuff might fit?
Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Jonny,

That's great news - well pleased for you.

Unfortunately I have to counter your good news with some bad news of my own.

I got my Stage One from the UK in early August of this year. I picked it up portside in Ventura, California.

Since then I have been dragging my heels about getting it registered and fully road legal. I started the process with DMV and had the CHP inspect and sign off on it - I just never relished the thought of finishing the process and have taken my time.

I still drive the Stage One around my neighbourhood to keep it running - the V8 is a blast. I even spent some money getting a new clutch and remanufacturing the front prop, and getting an adaptor from England so that I can use the LPG.

I was ready to pull the trigger and finalize the paperwork. Then I learned how messed up California is. We have two systems the Federal and the State. The Feds say that my Landy is ok, the State says it is not.

The long and short of it is, in 49 States I can just register my Landy and that's the end of it. In order to get it registered in California I have to spend between $5,000 and $10,000 bringing it up to California's standards - including fitting a cat, a pre cat and maybe a charcoal filter - I will likely have to rebuild the fuel system, new lines and modify the tank, because of evaporative emissions. Once all that is done I have to pay $2,500 for a test to see if it stands a chance of passing the emissions test, then I can smog it and if I am lucky it will pass and I can register it and legally drive it.

I think that sadly I will have to try and sell my Stago One to someone in another state and just sit here and quietly envy of all of you.

If all of that sounds complicated, don't even ask about bring a non-NAS Defender to the US!

:x :x :x :( :( :(
glencoyne

Re: SWivels

Post by glencoyne »

Bumpkin wrote:Well done Johnny.
I need a pair of swivels.I dont think Series ones fit. I wonder if early R/Rover stuff might fit?
Terry
Hi Terry

I might be able to help. I have just stripped a Stage One front axle for spares. The swivels are almost perfect - just a couple of tiny areas of pitting. Horribly expensive due to their close resemblance to rocking horse droppings, but give me a ring on 07776 287953 or email me if you are interested.

Richard