speedo

Technical questions and answers
trooper

speedo

Post by trooper »

the speedo on my stage 1 (the beast) as not worked since ive had it i have now fitted a new one the problem is that i think i am going faster than the speedo says i am ?????
Basil

Post by Basil »

Hi mate, if you have fitted a speedo from a swb it will read wrong, also if you have bigger tyre's fitted this two will effect the speedo reading.

If you have a gps or a mate who can lend you one this is an easy way to find out if your speedo is reading wrong.

cheer's Baz
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
trooper

Post by trooper »

cheers i will try the gps asthe tyres are standard and the speedo is the right one
onno wielinga

Post by onno wielinga »

I have the same fault!
this happened after i have fitted a range rover gearbox.
it can be fixed by fitting a stage 1 gear, that counts the rotations of the driveshafts, which is fitted in the rear/lefthandside of the transferbox, where the speedocable is connected.
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

I have the same problem.. my speedo over reads so im actually going slower than i think. According to teh GPS at 30mph its only 2mph out, but at 70 its out by 10mph? I thought that any errors by tyre size would not be exponentional?

Tom.
1988 V8 110 CSW.
trooper

Post by trooper »

speedo cable only fitted says im doing 40 gps says 50 spedo says 44 gps says 60
looking for the equation
mikeinbeverley

speedo

Post by mikeinbeverley »

Hi! I put a cheap bicycle digital speedo in my SIII as I change diff ratios from time to time! Reads direct from rear wheel via sensor on brake drum & magnet on drum itself. It's worked a treat for several years now. Only snag: no backlight. Has to be lit directly in front of face to read in dark. I have to use a torch - no kidding! Only backlit digital ones I've seen are rally types around £200 mark, or electronically programmable analogues that read to 140 mph.so I'd only use half the dial & so it wd have to be read carefully with cameras about. Past experience of having the standard speedo re-calibrated was not satisfactory.

mikeinbeverley
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

I have this same problem... Surely there must be a method of calibration? Any ideas?
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

What size tyres do you have and which speedo is fitted?

There should be a series of small numbers printed on the face around the lower edge that denote which type it is. Basically, if the speedo has a little "1536" on its face it's a SWB, if it says "1408" it's a LWB. There are other numbers but generally 15?? is SWB and 14?? is LWB. IIRC 13?? is from 1 ton's fitted with 9.00x16 tyres.

Could also be a worn drive in the gearbox.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Well, when I got the car, it had the original tyres on it, the speedo was out and the odometer was accurate. However I have since put on a new set of rims and tyres and they are now both out byabout 10%, just thought there would be a way of calibrating it that's all... I have been told there is places that you can just tell them the diff ratios and your tyre sizes and they can fix it up for you. Of course being a landrover owner I want to do it myself :D
glencoyne

Post by glencoyne »

109V8 speedo number should be 1376 - unique to this vehicle.

Richard
trooper

Post by trooper »

My speedo is well out ie 42 in car is 60 and the mieage 101 in car actual via auto route and gps is 122
i am using Deestone 7.50*16 and the number at the bottom of speedo is 1536 that is why i was asking about changes that anybody knew about on the previous owners post
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Looks like someone has put a SWB speedo in. God knows why?

Interestingly the latest series 3 parts catalogue doesn't list a seperate V8 speedo just a 109 or 88 fitted with 7.50 tyres PRC1775 and the optional parts catalogue list a specific stage 1 speedo but only in KPH PRC3296

Best bet is find someone breaking a stage 1 and get the speedo out of it.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
db
Site Admin

Post by db »

trooper wrote:i am using Deestone 7.50*16 and the number at the bottom of speedo is 1536 that is why i was asking about changes that anybody knew about on the previous owners post
Mine is accurate with 235/85 tyres (which should be much the same circumference as 7.50) and a 1376 (I believe the number is revs per mile) speedo.

Did you manage to contact the previous owner on the address I emailed?

David
trooper

Speedo

Post by trooper »

Thanks guys plenty of useful info
Yes DB ive been in touch with a previous owner Steve Scott who was very helpfull apart from changing it from a truck to a station wagon they only changed 3rd and 4th gear which will have altered the speedo slightly after double checking the speedo number with a magnifying glass i can confirm the number as 1376 which is the right one.