Technical questions and answers
steve w

Post by steve w »

Hi All,
I have just purchased a Stage 1 V8 SW. She has'nt been used for about 2 years so i am in the process of recommissioning. A new RPI 3.9 engine, JWR manifold and 500 Weber was fitted in 1998 and has only done 11,000 miles since. A full service on the engine and carb just completed and sounds sweet. I am now running through the rest to get ready for MOT. I have a couple of questions, the road spring leaves are a bit rusty should i oil/grease them and rap them in Denso tape(greased water proof tape) as per some of the vintage cars. I shall need a new set of tyres, any reccomendations for 50/50 road off road use and towing a horse box 235/85/16 have been sugested by my local Landi man to keep the rolling radius the same as the 750/16 as originaly fitted. I will probably go for Modular wheels or simular, anybody got any second hand ones. Thanks in advance, excellent forum all ready found loads of useful info.
Best Regards
Steve W
109 stage one V8 SW
martin hughes

Post by martin hughes »

Hi,
I have not seen springs wrapped up on landrovers, I just paint on old engine oil to mine to keep them lubricated, as for tyres I always use 750XR16 the range avalible is still vast if you shop arround.
1982 109 V8 Station Wagon
1965 88 Short Wheel Base
cat3412

Post by cat3412 »

Good to hear from you just up the road in Polyphant.
If the springs are off , dip them in Rust breaker / (Plus gas) If they are on, The lighter the oil the better ( good spey in diesel will have the desired affect)

Cat 3412
punter

Post by punter »

Yeah, I cannot find 750R16 tires here in the States either... 245 75R16 is the size that was recommended to me... I was told that the diameter of that size tire is 30.25 inches (I has measured my 750R16s at 30 inches) so they should be right on target. I have not ordered them yet so I cannot say anything for certain... but you may want to look into that size as well. They will be a little wider too.
cheers,
punter
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Hi Steve,

You can strip down leaf springs packs and remove any rust and then as suggested a light oil.

235/85R16 AT's would probably suit you. I use colway remoulds from http://www.sowdentyres.co.uk which at £46 per tyre is a bargin and they have taken all the punishment I can throw at them. Had the same tyres on 3 different vehicles now and they are still going strong even after a 4500 mile round trip to the sahara.

Punter,

245/75R16 is approx 30.5" (I say approx because it varies between manufacturers).

7.50 "should" be just under 32" and 235/85R16 works out at approx 32"

If you fit 245/75 tyres you will be a bit under geared. Also for a 245 tyre you really need a 7" rim and if you have the original stage 1 wheels they are only 5.5". You can get away with running 235's on 5.5" rims although ideally you want 6" plus.

I currently run 6.5" 1 ton rims on my stage 1 but I plan to fit 255/85R16 to mine when the 235's wear down so I may need some wider offset rims to stop them catching at full lock.

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
steve w

Post by steve w »

Hi All, thanks for the replies all very helpful. Just a caution if you are using a JWR manifold and Weber carb, make sure any holes in the bonnet from spare wheel carrier etc are bloked off, my bonnet had a couple of bolt holes in and over a couple of weeks of heavy rain here in Cornwall filled the carb and inlet manifold with water, the air cleaner cover makes a good saucer to catch rain! Had to remove inlet manifold and heads to inspect damage all ok apart from carb needing a good clean out and new gaskets could have been much worse over a longer period if the vehicle is'nt used every day. After putting everything back together the temperature gauge was reading very high, thought i may have an air lock but turned out to be the voltage regulator behind the temp and fuel gauges had gone t..ts up causing the high readings, changed the regulator and all is well.
Best Regards
Steve W
109 stage one V8 SW