crankshaft pully removal

Technical questions and answers
punter

crankshaft pully removal

Post by punter »

I've run into a bit of trouble removing the crankshaft pully from my engine.

The system is set up to mate with an engine driven winch, so the crankshaft pully has a significant recess in which the retaining bolt is located... and the retaining bolt has two large "teeth" spiraling out of it to catch the winch's driveshaft. (I mention this only in the case that some of you might be familiar with this particular modification).

I have managed to find a socket that will fit the retaining bolt (a feat in itself), but I cannot find a way to restrain the crankshaft pully from turning so that I can apply sufficient force to loosen and remove the retaining bolt.

Any suggestions?
cheers,
punter
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Is the engine still in the vehicle?

If not you will have fun trying to get it off. Have you got an impact wrench?

When I got my replacement engine the crankshaft bolt was fitted but no pulley. I had to wait until the engine was in the vehicle before I could remove it. Even then I had to put it in gear and then attach the end of a big spanner to the engine crane to undo it.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

UTube has a video of a bloke trying to do the same. He fitted a socket and long bar to the nut jamming the bar on the ground. Wait for it he then flicks the starter eventually the nut is shocked free. Not sure if you could or would even want to do the same. Would have to consider which way the thread is and which way the engine turns.
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Common trick :?

Usually a long bar resting against a chassis rail.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
martin hughes

Post by martin hughes »

this method worked for me once on a 90 tdi, a bit rough but effective!
1982 109 V8 Station Wagon
1965 88 Short Wheel Base
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

if the engine is out, a good trick is a piece of angle iron around 25mm X 25mm jammed in between the flywheel and summat else, like the bellhousing, or whatever. Works well. Havent used it on a 3.5, but works on a few other engines a treat.
Stop Global Whining.
punter

Post by punter »

Yep... it was already out of the vehicle.

Your suggestion pretty much squared me away though (Kiwi)... I ended up putting a couple of screws back into the hub where the drive plate mounts and wedged a big screwdriver between them and the engine stand. It destroyed the threads on the bolts, but they can be replaced.

In any case, the engine is completely stripped down now and at the machine shop. Hopefully, I'll get some news on it's status by the end of next week.

Thanks for all the advice/suggestions.
cheers,
punter