1984 v8 Gas conversion CSW

Technical questions and answers
Michael Lacey

Post by Michael Lacey »

Hi

I am experiencing what I think are ignition problems. The car on petrol will tick over ok but under strain will cut out for a second or two and then cut back in. On gas the problem is more acute and we will experience the occassional backfire.

After changing the coil from the original Lucas to a Bosch, replacing the rotar arm, distributor cap and plug leads the engine ran like a dream for about a 120 miles. After filling up with gas the problem returned.

The ignition pack has been bench tested and appeared to be ok

Has any body any ideas as towhat the problem could be?
6JN 565

Re: 1984 v8 Gas conversion CSW

Post by 6JN 565 »

Michael Lacey wrote:Hi
Hi Howard here in Australia.

Have ran my Stage 1 V8 on Gas for 600,000+ kms. Check that solinoid on the fuel ilne is working and /or adjusted correctly, the same for the gas. Does this happen when the engine is cold or Warm? I cn be the evaporater unit if when cold .

Hope this helps

HB
I am experiencing what I think are ignition problems. The car on petrol will tick over ok but under strain will cut out for a second or two and then cut back in. On gas the problem is more acute and we will experience the occassional backfire.

After changing the coil from the original Lucas to a Bosch, replacing the rotar arm, distributor cap and plug leads the engine ran like a dream for about a 120 miles. After filling up with gas the problem returned.

The ignition pack has been bench tested and appeared to be ok

Has any body any ideas as towhat the problem could be?
nijweide

Post by nijweide »

600k km's???

No kidding?

All on the same engine or did you have to do a couple of rebuilds?
109V8CSW & SIIASWBSofttop
6JN 565

Post by 6JN 565 »

Hi,

Yes 656800 kms.

The two rebuild were as follows,

1) @ 256000 We reworked the heads to have S/S steel valve inserts & valves, new lifters, camshaft reprofiled to better suit LPG. New Timing Chain and complete clean. New Oil & Water Pump

2) @ 496000 New lifters, valves reground Timing Chain and oil pump renewed. New Water Pump.

We have not renewed the big ends or reground the crankshaft or rebored. I have always used Shell XMO ( LPG Blend ) oil and changed the oil & filter at every 6000 km.

I have had the radiator rebuilt to double the core size as it gets hot in Western Australia 47-50+ in the outback. This means the engine runs 15C cooler which slows wear very significantly as the oil stays more viscose.

The V8 is a great engine if you change the oils & filter @ 6000km and keep the engine running cool. Gas burns hotter than petrol hence the s/s steel valve seats . It also uses more fuel on LPG but cold starting on LPG is easy. The use of the choke on petrol engines increases the wear by up to 20%

It may have cost a bit to do all this but I have costed it and it is 50% cheaper that replacing the engine twice.!!!!

Land Rovers never die!!!! They just keep on going

Regards Howard.
nijweide wrote:600k km's???

No kidding?

All on the same engine or did you have to do a couple of rebuilds?
Michael Lacey

Post by Michael Lacey »

Hi Howard

Thanks foryour reply. It happens whether hot or cold.

I have checked out the gas leads and all appear to be in order, have also rebuit the carbs The problem remains.