Hello from California

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
Londoner

Hello from California

Post by Londoner »

Hello all.

I am the new (almost) owner of a Stage One. I say "almost" as it is still in the UK and I am out here in California.

Although the deal has been done and the Landy bought and paid for, I won't see it for another 8 weeks. I am going on holiday in the middle of July and the only way to avoid having the Land Rover sitting on the dock in the States was to delay delivery until August :cry:

My wife is a little put out that I am looking forward to getting the Stage One more than I am to our vacation - sooner or later she will get it :lol:

I am really glad to see all of the available information on the forums and to see that none of you appear to bite. I had a Series III when I lived back home, so I know from experience that sooner or later it will break and I will be needing your help.

Sorry to Bumpkin, but it isn't Java Green, I am not sure if Bronze Green will make him happy, but it's the best I've got to offer.

Glad to join you all.

Alan.
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Alan
Good to have another member. Where in California is she going?
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Tel,

AEC is headed for sunny southern California, to be precise she is bound for Orange county, just south of Los Angeles and about 5 miles from Disneyland.

Alan
foggydave

Post by foggydave »

Hi Alan
Welcome to the forum
Are you importing the motor yourself or is the seller doing it. I just wondered if there were any difficulties or if its a straight forward process.

Is this the Stage1 thats on the For Sale forum 1980 bronze green petrol/lpg
If it is you would seem to have a good motor

Regards Dave
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Dave,

Thanks for the welcome.

I am importing the Stage One for myself. It's funny that you should ask me if it's a straightforward process on today of all days.

The time is 11.23 p.m. here in California and I have only now got back from the port after helping a friend pick up two SWB Landies. Admittedly we did stop at the British Club for a pint (or two), but in fairness we were on the road at 7:00 a.m. this morning and it was a lonnnnnng day.

I am not generally superstitious but today was 6/6/06 and we had way more than our fair share of problems - that story is for another time though.

The paperwork is quite easy - well I say quite easy but then I did spend hours researching this before we set foot in the Customs office. The hard part was convincing the Customs Officer that he really did want to help us. To be fair to him he was a very nice guy and did his best to help, the regular lady was out sick and he didn't know the ropes, so I had to help him along.

In theory it is quite easy, as long as the truck is over 25 years old for DOT requirements and 21 years for the EPA.

Can you believe that the Agricultural Officers were unable to give one of the Landies a clean bill of health because it had a good thick coating of British muck underneath? Again to be fair the Ag Officer signed off on the vehicle and accompanied us to the Jet Wash to oversee the cleaning process - all this on his way home from work - top quality individual.

As to your question - yes it is the Green Stage One LPG advertised here on the forum - I have talked quite extensively to the previous owner and I am sure that I have got a good 'un.

I am having some work done to it in London before it hits the docks - if I strike out on this I may need some recommendations from forum members. If you are interested I will (at a later date) fill you in on all that is required to get a land rover into the US - right now the combination of a long day and too much beer have taken their toll and I am off to the land of nod.

Cheers,

Alan.
foggydave

Post by foggydave »

Hi Thanks for the reply, I will ask later if I need the info just an idea at the moment as my lad may want to import a truck from the States to England and "vice versa"
Regards Dave
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Dave,

I would be glad to share any information that I have with you and your son. I can't tell you about the formalities at the UK end, but I can certainly share my hard won experience with shipping and US formalities.

If you need a helping hand in California let me know, I will see what I can do - just remember, California is a very big place. I can also put you in touch with an English guy that deals in vehicle wholesale here in the L.A./Orange county area, maybe that will be of some help to you.

TTFN,

Alan.