Free Wheeling Hubs?

Technical questions and answers
1toughV8

Free Wheeling Hubs?

Post by 1toughV8 »

Just a question to anyone that has a thought on the subject? Would it be advisable/advantageous to install free-wheeling hubs on a Stage 1? Noting the fact that the front axle is always engaged. I am assuming that the center diff would have to be locked if you wanted to run in 4x2 mode. Would this save on wear and tear or fuel by disengaging the front wheels? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris[/img]
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

I have talked about this with many people before in various applications. One, you would have to have the center diff locked all of the time because of the difference in load on the front and read axles that you would create. Differences in load (traction) between front and rear for any extended amount of time are very highly advised against with the LT95. In fact, I think the plaque on the firewall says something to this effect.

You'd really be asking for trouble sooner or later. For all of the thought and work you'd have to put into it, I think your intended result in economy would be negligible. The gearing and the overdrive options really seem to be the only way of conserving fuel with the Stage 1. Rover V8s are just thirsty. Always have been. Even the late generation GEMS 4.0 that I have in the disco gets at best 17MPG. Rover V8s drink refined dino like I drink Dutch beer . . . passionately and with reckless disregard for the pocketbook. Just my two cents, though.
1toughV8

Post by 1toughV8 »

Thanks for the info and i guess i will hold off on that thought FOREVER!! Did you see my post about the .996 intermediate gear i have and effects on fuel economy in top gear at 100k's/hour??? What are your thoughts on that??