Parabolic Springs

Technical questions and answers
Landyboy

Parabolic Springs

Post by Landyboy »

Fitted a new set of parabolic springs - rear ones no problem apart from the usual fight with the old spring hanger bolts but the front ones are proving to be a problem - the 2nd leaf "wrap over" fouls the the front hanger bracket which causes a knocking when the spring flexes i.e. going over a bump or round a corner - is it o.k to cut the leaf back enough to clear the hanger or does this upset the efficiency of the spring?????

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ex B.B.C. Stage 1 V8 Hard top - Now Soft top!!!!!!!
110 County station wagon
Discovery 2 V8
foggydave

Post by foggydave »

Hi
I am thinking of getting some parabolics and shocks
Did yours fit ok in the end and did you cut the leaf back to clear hanger
Also are Stage1 parabolics the same as a normal series 3 lwb or are they special to stage 1 motors
Regards Dave
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

I have fitted Parabolics to both of mine and they went on OK with no catching around the spring hangers.

They are just standard 109 ones.

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Who made them? I had no problems with the Chris Perfect ones. The spring hangers are different on the front as they have a big spacer welded onto one side. This helps the spring clear the chassis. It would be a shame to grind the spring as that would prob upset the warranty.
foggydave

Post by foggydave »

So do you use special parabolic hangers as I have modified my front drivers side rear hanger to give my tubular manifold clearance.

ie when ordering parabolics do they come with special hangers or do you use the standard existing ones

Dave
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

I used standard LR Hangers. What did you have to do to the hanger to make the tubular zorst fit
foggydave

Post by foggydave »

On the drivers side front spring rear hanger top bolt ( one that goes through chassis) had to shorten bolt, and saw inner nut in half as there was not enough space between nut/bolt and engine for the down pipe to go through, I also had to flatten a downpipe a tad.
Thanks for reminding me as I have to weld the inner nut onto the hanger as I had to cut nyloc top off, I put a tab washer on the bolt head end.

The reason I asked was that someone mentioned a big flange on the hanger. But if you use standard then that should be ok.
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

Sorry to dig up an old post like this but how high can the stage 1's be lifted without having to start doing stuff to drive train etc??

also how big of a tyre diametre can be fitted under the truck??

cheers
"If it ain't v8, take it back"
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Parabolics already provide you 1" or 2" lift. (depending on the brand) Because the double joint in the front propshaft it is no problem compared to a normal series car to also fit military shackles. They are 2" longer and therefore should provide you with another 1" lift.
Just make sure your flexible brake lines and shock absorbers are long enough. I have the military shackles laying on the shelve for some while but the absorbers still are in such condition that I don't yet want to replace them with new ones.

Offcourse when you are planning to replace the spring, also fit polybushes!!
KR

Post by KR »

The 2nd wrap-over leaf interfering with the front spring perch, yes? Don’t cut it away, I would try tightening it closer to the main leaf. Torch heat and bend?
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

also how big of a tyre diameter can be fitted under the truck??
Series 2 1 ton's had 9.00x16 tyres which are 34" diameter but they had chassis modifications like spring mounts that stuck down and extra 2 inches and 2" longer shackles (sometimes referred to as Military shackles as some military land rovers where fitted with a 1 ton chassis).

I have had 33" (255/85R16) on my 88 with just parabolics to give a bit of lift and never had any problems with clearance. Although it did over gear it!

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
mattv8

Post by mattv8 »

i put parabolics on & had militery shacles allready fitted, so raised the landy by quite a bit (my girl friend asked bout the free step ladder i shuda got with em so cud get in). but i also have the prob with the front spring hangers as such in that the springs bump the chassis when go over bumps, i was thinking of lenghtning the front hangers just enough to let the springs clear...