Rear Floor cross members/stiffeners

Technical questions and answers
arcticrover

Rear Floor cross members/stiffeners

Post by arcticrover »

Hey all-

I almost have all the rear floor stiffeners I need to replace the WOODEN ones now in place. I am also having a new floor made from sheet aluminum since mine is completely eaten though where there used to be rivets. Has anyone done work in these areas and have any advice on how to accomplish it?

Bobby
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

When I did mine I waxoiled all the steel bits and made sure there would be minmum contact between the floor and the struts to prevent future corrosion. Also dont forget to fix the rubber pads to the crossmembers where they rest on the chassis. Its a real sod if you do and dont realise until after you have rebuilt the body work. (Guess how I know!)

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

I am planning on using POR15 (rust killer/sealer) to seal the crossmembers before I attach them to the floor. How are they attached? Is it hammer rivets?
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

They would have originally been hammer riveted. I use stainless steel bolts on mine as I had some kicking around and intend to replace them with some pop rivets in the future as the boltheads get in the way

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

I've never done riveting before, so I'll have to do a little research. Thanks.