Swivel pin housings

Technical questions and answers
Glen

Swivel pin housings

Post by Glen »

Does anyone know what is special about the V8 swivel pin housings FRC1956/7? I know the V8 chrome swivels have more clearance for the CVJ’s and the swivel pins themselves are shorter and fatter for the same reason, but the seals and swivel pin bolt patterns are the same so there shouldn’t be a clearance issue there with the outer housing. Is it something to do with the V8 specific stub axle? I think it had a bigger diameter bush for the CVJ but does that mean the hole in the housing is bigger? The bolt pattern must be the same as the brake backplates are also used on 6 cylinder models that have a standard housing. The V8 axle sits at a different angle but that must be dealt with on the axle case flanges as the swivel pin angles are the same and thus the filler plugs should be in the same place?
map1275

Re: Swivel pin housings

Post by map1275 »

Metal is removed from the internal faces of an otherwise standard hub. This has been covered before and someone had posted pictures of the contact areas.
Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

Have a look at the Design Development Engineering website. Bryan does a kit to address the issues surrounding Stage 1 swivel hubs/cv joints
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

109 V8: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2161
My Disco Thread: http://www.thed2boysclub.co.uk/viewtopi ... =3&t=58130

LAND ROVER. TURNING OWNERS INTO PAUPERS FOR 70 YEARS
Glen

Post by Glen »

map1275 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:49 pm Metal is removed from the internal faces of an otherwise standard hub. This has been covered before and someone had posted pictures of the contact areas.
To be clear, FRC1956/7 is NOT the chrome swivel* which I know has been covered as you say, it’s the outer turny bit* of the swivel housing that the swivel pins, steering arms and stub axle bolts to. It’s not a hub as that’s the spiny bit* that the wheel goes on which isn’t V8 specific. As far as I’m aware no one mentions having to clearance these as they are way bigger dia than the chrome swivel that fits inside them and the outer dims of that was not altered. The different part number implies they are different in some way to normal ones - presumably there was a reason for this, has anyone ever found out how?
Cliff4WD wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:40 pm Have a look at the Design Development Engineering website. Bryan does a kit to address the issues surrounding Stage 1 swivel hubs/cv joints
The various DDE kits don’t seem to mention these parts - they are unlikely to need replacing when refurbish a stage 1 but their absence in the UJ to CV conversion kits, where you’d expect normal housings to be used, implies whatever difference there is doesn’t matter, but I still want to know why they were different in the first place as this seems a bit odd. Is the hole slightly bigger to allow the CV joint to be withdrawn without dismantling the swivel pins if you used a standard housing, like you have to to remove the CV on a 101? If that were the case though surely that would mean it’s only possible to fit a stage 1 stub axle to a stage 1 housing where as the DDE stubs suggest they fit either. Only other thing I can think of is if the machined surfaces for the stub axle or swivel pins are machined to a slightly different height, which could be quite subtle to the point either still fits, but again I don’t see why this would be needed as since they’d already modified the swivels and stub axle parts you could surely make adjustments to those bits so this one could still be manufactured on the standard jigs and save money.

* Not technical terms but my parts book calls both parts swivel housings so that doesn’t help.