Radiators

Technical questions and answers
jonnyboy

Radiators

Post by jonnyboy »

I have notice some green staining has appeared on my radiator. I am going to presure test it this weekend but just in caes its totally knackered and given that a new one is £470 I am looking into replacements.

There is a local company that might be able to recore it so thats an option but have been wondering if any other landrover rads woudl fit without to much work.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
martin hughes

Post by martin hughes »

I think the defender 200tdi rad is similar although not the same, considering the time spent making one to fit (remembering the hoses may not align) I would go for the re-core option.
I have had 2 rads re-cored in the past for landrovers and deal with 3000hp engine radiators which we have re-cored on a regular basis with no problems.
It usually takes 1 or 2 days and will come back as good if not better than new.
1982 109 V8 Station Wagon
1965 88 Short Wheel Base
onno wielinga

Post by onno wielinga »

I had my radiator recored as well; they did a very good job for less than 150 euro.
nick

Post by nick »

I run a radiator from a 200 TDi defender (without oil cooler) (£20 from your nearest frindly scrappy) in my stage one, having failed to find a decent stage 1 rad in my price range. It is more than up to the job of keeping the V8 cool. The radiator fits in the space between the wings fine, but you will have to fabricate some sort of braketry to keep it in place. The inlet and outlet are in the right positions, but they come out at a different angle to the originals, so you need to get creative with the hoses. My solution is that the original bottom hose now does stirling service (the other way round) as the new top hose! For the bottom hose the only solution I found was to use a universal flexible hose (Halfords stock them). You will need to retain the small outlet for the expansion take hose from your original radiator. This is screwed into a threaded hold on the top R.H. corner (seen from the driver's seat) The TDi does not have this outlet, but it has the threaded hole blanked off with a nut - easy swap.

You will need to do some mods to the stage 1 fan shroud to make it clear the fan when mounted on the rad. The TDi shroud does not line up at all. Alternatively you could just discard the shroud altogether as I did. this does not seem to have affected the efficiency of the cooling system at all. I sat in traffic on a hot day for 45 mins the other day, the temp guage never went above the halfway mark once. Lastly, if you do get rid of the shroud you must re-mount the expansion tank. I mounted mine on the L.H. inner wing using the original bracket bolted straight to the wing. (Make sure that the tank end of the connecting hose is higher than the rad end, otherwise it will try to syphon all your coolant out - I speak from experience here!!)

Hope this is some help,

Cheers,
Nick.
:D
Do what you like and you'll always like what you do.
Basil

Post by Basil »

Got my rad re- cored about three year's ago cost me £99 from a local company, still going strong
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Range Rover is the same size is it not?
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
nick

Post by nick »

I tried one from a Range Rover - it didn't fit! It's about 1 1/2 inches too wide.

Nick
Do what you like and you'll always like what you do.