Power Steering

Technical questions and answers
Andy Dawe

Power Steering

Post by Andy Dawe »

Has anyone had a go at PAS On a Stage 1.

The Chris Perfect system does not fit and you need to slice up the front cross member to make it fit.

Any ideas. Maybe retrofit 90/110 RR Disco system.
primsil

Post by primsil »

I have seen a RR box conversion done, and was going to do the same.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

Just about to fit a kit I bought at the LRO show last august. It came from a stage 1 V8 Simba which was an armoured land rover used by the Royal Ulster Constabulary. The steering box is a replacement for the original with a fabricated bracket to bolt it on and a fabricated steering column with a uj on the end to attach it to the box.
I will take some piccies as I am doing it. I still have the chaps mobile number if anyone is interested to see if he has any kits left.
Regards Huzey.
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Yes please.
Basil

Post by Basil »

I see them kit's at the Lro show, really wanted one but didn't have enough sheckles on me and then lost the bloke's number.
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Huzey any chance of a couple of pics of the conversion.

Has anyone had a look or offered up a 110 system to see if it will fit
primsil

Post by primsil »

110 is the same box as RR and disco, to use them you have to remove the relay mounting brackets from the chassis, drill the chassis for the box, (these need tubes through them to prevent the chassis collapsing) and use a 110 steering column.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Help.

Here's the plan. I purchase a complete 110 300tdi steering system including steering wheel, steering column, uj's, steering shaft and steering box. I have a Milemarker winch fitted with a ZF pump.

I can weld and fabricate any brackets required.

Now for the questions.

1. will the 110 steering column accept the original steering wheel and steering lock. I want to keep interior original.

2. The steering box will have to be fitted as described before by welding sleeves for the bolts. Does it matter which box I use. There are several bolt versions.

3. when on full lock with the system hopefully fitted. will the box keep trying to push the steering rod damaging the system. I only ask this as the steering lock on a modern LR is far greater than that on the old bus. :?
primsil

Post by primsil »

sorry dont know if the series and 110 locks and wheel are interchangeable.
dont think there is that much difference between the boxes, most over here seem to be 4 bolt, I think I read somewhere the six bolt boxes are larger and stronger, with more turns between lock, but quite rare.
I checked the travel of the drag link on the stage1 hubs against raro hubs and seems to be the same, may require a minor adjustment of limiting stops.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

I have got a 6 bolt steering box spare if anyone wants it. Was looking at doing a conversion myself so bought a rr efi V8 motor with all the steering gear attached. Surplus to requirements now I have bought this kit. Going to fit it next week ready to go to sodbury next saturday. Finaly got an mot on it as well after a lot of messing about, again!
Regards Huzey.
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

cheers for that. I'm sourcing 300tdi parts at the moment. As soon as I get everything together I'll make a start..

Gonna see f i can get a 110 brake pedal box and matching clutch pedal box fitted at the same time. The 110 servo should give me better braking.
onno wielinga

Post by onno wielinga »

why bother with powersteering?

one of the options was a öne-ton" type steering box, with a lower ratio.
instead of 3,5 turn from lock to lock it does 4,5 turns lock to lock.

i have it fitted for about 4 years and it works fine.

i bought it from craddocks for about 100 euro brandnew.
this will save you some dosh you can spend on a dicbrake conversion fron ticonsole (now vented discs).

i don't know if craddock have any more one-ton steeringboxes lying around.

p.a. blanchard probably have them as well. some years ago they dismantled some military 109v8's. on their site you can download their partslist.
Stageone

power steering

Post by Stageone »

I have a complete kit here, took it off when replacing the engine for an overhauled SD1 v8.
It is basically a TI-Console SIII kit with brackets tailor-made. I returned the pump to TIC (long boring story) and got a RR pump for it instead.

It worked fine, although driving in a straight line did require constant 'adjustment' of the steering wheel

Just new on this forum btw..

Marijn
DSOR - Dutch Stage One Register www.stage-one.nl
Marijn
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

Well, started to fit the power steering today. Not going too well. First off, the dash board disintegrated, but luckily I have a spare that I was going to fit at some point, and then I have had to "modify" the exhaust manifold for the steering arm to clear it. Apart from that, it is sort of on, and tomorrow I have got to make up and fit some lateral support for the new steering box.
Have taken photo's and will get them on here when it is all finished.
Regards Huzey.
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Well I'v e had to delay the steering box purchase as the steering box on the wifes disco has just sprung a leak. Gonna have to do some more overtime.......