NZ Army Land Rover alternator problems

Technical questions and answers
disco2hse

Re: NZ Army Land Rover alternator problems

Post by disco2hse »

If you are talking about the big round thing in the middle of the dash, that is a multi-alarm for oil pressure, water level and battery condition. It has nothing to do with voltage regulation.

The voltage regulator, located (IIRC) under the dash top and behind the big centre unit that the multi-alarm is attached to, is known to fail and is cheaply replaceable. This regulator is for the correct voltage to ensure gauges read correctly. IIRC again, the alternator regulator is inside the alternator itself.

Check too that the connections between the alternator and regulator are solid and clean.

It is possible that your batteries are faulty too.

Are you still running your split charges diodes? It may be that too.

Only way to be sure is to take the alternator to a test bench and have it tested. I would disconnect the alternator (take the belts off) and drive to a near autosparky to check it over.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
robertstr

Re: NZ Army Land Rover alternator problems

Post by robertstr »

Hi Alan
Thanks for the reply, so, no shocker I am confused.
So the voltage regulator is behind that AIS multilarm thing.... Is that the most likely part thats failing and causing 40 volts at the batteries?
OR is it the generator regulator in the generator itself?

If so, do you happen to have a part number for the voltage regulator in the dash? I will just order that now, just in case.
I will take that beast off I guess and run it into a shop. I just hope the innards are pretty standard? Do you know who makes/made that sucker?

Thanks, in not totally comfortable waters here.
I posted this question in new thread with pictures, here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2007

Not sure which one I want to be broken... that beast of a generator OR something in the dashboard. ...
I have NO idea what split diode are, really none.

Cheers
Just bought x NZ army 109 Stage 1 V8
you cant fix stupid