Hi newbie here

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
foggydave

Hi newbie here

Post by foggydave »

Just put in "Stage 1 V8" on Google and here I am. HI

I have owned a Stage 1 for about 4 years,
It was owned by Twickenham Rugby Club when new so has low miles and is in fair condition. I am the third owner.
At the moment I am fitting a 4 barrel Weber carb on and am in the process of trying with great difficulty to fit tubular exhausts and system from a Range Rover ( very tight fit) and exchanging the middle box for a cherry bomb,I will also be fitting a high lift cam with rhoades lifters.
Then there are parabolics, footwells, etc etc.
As with any old Landrover the job list never ends ( which is ok for me but not so much for the wife)
I have owned a variety of series motors but the Stage 1 is the best, plenty of power with just the same or better consumption
I will post pics in the near future.

Dave
Basil

Post by Basil »

Hi foggydave welcome to the forum, i had one of them weber's on my old rangie, fantastic carb. :D :D :D

Basil
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
Landyboy

Post by Landyboy »

Hi FoggyDave

Nice to see another Stage 1 owner from Leicester - is yours on the road at the moment? We have got a white (eventually I want it to be jade green) rag top in case you have seen it about.

I like the idea of replacing the centre box with a cherry bomb - think I might do the same so that everyone can here the V8 burble!!!!!

I would be interested to see your pics when you do them - mine is inthe gallery on this site.

Cheers

Paul (Landyboy)
Ex B.B.C. Stage 1 V8 Hard top - Now Soft top!!!!!!!
110 County station wagon
Discovery 2 V8
stretchlandy

Post by stretchlandy »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D
By the way, when you said the fuel consumption was as good as other series motors, what are you getting :?: (always nice to get a benchmark)
1977 101 Forward control
1982 Stage 1 Hardtop (under deconstruction)
1998 Series 1 Discovery V8i

www.lr-mad.co.uk
primsil

Post by primsil »

Hi Foggydave.Welcome. Are you by any chance difflockdave on LRO, was just reading a question about crossmembers and thought it may have been you.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
foggydave

Post by foggydave »

Hi
Yes I must admit to being Difflockdave on the LRO site, but the trouble with owning a stage 1 is that being a V8 and series3 you tend to be niether one thing or the other, so its nice to speak to like minded people who understand the differences.
When I said the consumption is good compared to other Series motors the reason is is that I always drove small engined petrol/diesel Landrovers and I was of the impression with having a mate with a Range Rover was that V8's were thirstier. How wrong I was, every aspect of the Stage 1 is so much better, I can drive at 60 mph and still hear myself shout and even got 80 mph out of the old dear and may have gone faster if the windows had not just about torn themselves off the doors. It has permanent 4 wheel drive, more torque, better by 5-7 mpg than any of my old series 3,s and of course that V8 sound mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
I took it off the road last week as the tax is due so I thought I would SORN it for a month and do all the jobs on it, started this week and nothing but rain GRRR
The consumption of my other series motors was
V6 = 10 mpg 2.25/2.5 petrol = 12 mpg Stage 1= without weber 14 mpg and with weber 17 mpg and hopefully with better exhaust system even higher mpg although the grin factor when accelerating is a big downside to mpg.

I live in Glenfield and have not seen another Stage 1 around here, but your quite welcome to pop over any time for a chat and a cuppa.
Dave
primsil

Post by primsil »

Myself, Im half way around the world from you at present, hopefully will be in the UK in 12mnths time though.
Just saw your Q on LRO and was going to suggest looking here, but checked and thought this was you also. Terry contacted me thru LRO and recomended here to me. Glad to hear your happy with your stage 1. At present I am driving a rangie that has a great love for gas, but hope when completed my landy will be cheaper to run. I also am planning on the edelbrock setup, but on a 4.4 P76 block with buick 300 heads. The torque of the P76 is amazing, but they dont breathe as they have the small valves of the P5B, P6 v8s, not enough for a 4.4 engine, hopefully the Buick heads with oversize valves will improve it, I feel it is loosing HP by having to force the exhaust out of such a small port/ valve. And it has an even better sound than a rover.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Hi Dave
Welcome to the forum.Landyboy, dont you mean JAVA green.
Hope to catch up with everyone at Billing.
Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
Ginga

Post by Ginga »

Landyboy wrote:I like the idea of replacing the centre box with a cherry bomb - think I might do the same so that everyone can here the V8 burble!!
Extract from previous post
If you get the appropriate repair section (about £10) you can eliminate the centre box altogether, effectivly making it straight through to the rear box (muffler) - better ground clearance, sounds fruity too - which nice
Theres always a way !
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Is that a bit you can buy or you have to make yourself :roll:
foggydave

Post by foggydave »

Hi Andy if you follow this thread http://www.stage1v8.org.uk/phpBB2/viewt ... highlight= You will see references to different suppliers. I use Jetex as I have a supplier near me. Just put JETEX into Google and you will find all manner of sizes and shapes of piping.
Landyboy

Post by Landyboy »

Sorry Bumpkin - your'e right I did mean Java green!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ex B.B.C. Stage 1 V8 Hard top - Now Soft top!!!!!!!
110 County station wagon
Discovery 2 V8