Replacing a stage 1 gearbox with an LT77 gearbox

Technical questions and answers
cornish rattler

Replacing a stage 1 gearbox with an LT77 gearbox

Post by cornish rattler »

Hi guys

I am sorry for all the questions but i am just trying to get a few ideas together before i decide to buy a stage 1 V8.

if the range rover o.d idea is a no no what is involved in replacing the std stage 1 gearbox with an LT77 gearbox, is it a strait forward swap or is there any mods i would need to do to either the chassis or gearbox before i was to fit one :)
noexitroad

Re: Replacing a stage 1 gearbox with an LT77 gearbox

Post by noexitroad »

maybe try bigger tyres with the guts out of a rangey transfer box first. this will help a lot before you spin off on chassis modifying tangents. there is a lot of info the the net, you just need to sift thru it. my understanding is the lt77 is not as strong as a lt95 but never had any experience with one to compare.
go on, buy one....i know you really want to......................... :roll:
cornish rattler

noexitroad wrote:maybe try bigger tyres with the guts out of a rangey transfer box first. this will help a lot before you spin off on chassis modifying tangents. there is a lot of info the the net, you just need to sift thru it. my understanding is the lt77 is not as strong as a lt95 but never had any experience with one to compare.
go on, buy one....i know you really want to......................... :roll:
thanks noexitroad

its just that i am used to 2.25 petrols and a tdi converted one aswell in the past, i am not after diesel mpg but would like a bit more than a 2.25 petrol mpg at 16 mpg so if the range rover trannybox / complete gearbox is the way to go then that sounds ok :)
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

I am in the process of fitting an Lt77 to Alice at the moment.
As far as I can see at the moment, the gearbox 'should' just drop straight in :lol: Landrover being Landrover tend to keep things the same so the relationship of engine to gearbox mounts is identical. Chassis rail width is the same. I have yet to measure up to see if the propshafts will fit (you will need to swap the driving flange for the front prop over from the 95 to the 77).
Yes the early 77 boxes were 'weak', later ones had some modifications to them. My father in law owns Dakar RangeRover No1. That has a 4.5ltr V8 driving through a LT77 box. This vehicle has been driven very very very hard by the motoring press, and the gearbox is still sweet as nut, with smooth non-cluncky changes. The gearboxes are like the engines in that they like regular oil changes to keep them in tip top condition.
The 95 box is noisy and very notchy on the gear change, the 77 is much quieter, slicker gear changes, and it gives you 5 speeds which equals a huge improuvement in fuel economy. If you trawl around the net, there are a few people in the states that have done this conversion, and they are getting approx 30 mpg on a decient run with the standard 3.5 engine.
The trans tunnel will need to be modified to take the defender rubber gater, I have a hunch that the defender trans tunnel may fit with minor modification.
I am also going to fit the chain drive transfere box, which will give me a viscous centre diff, so will help to shove some power to the rear axle under acceleration.
I am some way of fitting the gearbox, it is due to be shipped to Ashcrofts for converting from rear shift (Discovery/RRC) to front shift (Defender).
It all depends on what you want the vehicle to do for you. Alice is going to be my everyday vehicle, hence all the mods to make driving a little easier on todays roads.
Have a look at some of my other posts to see what else I'm up to!!
I hope that this has been of some help
Spen
cornish rattler

Alicerover wrote:I am in the process of fitting an Lt77 to Alice at the moment.
As far as I can see at the moment, the gearbox 'should' just drop straight in :lol: Landrover being Landrover tend to keep things the same so the relationship of engine to gearbox mounts is identical. Chassis rail width is the same. I have yet to measure up to see if the propshafts will fit (you will need to swap the driving flange for the front prop over from the 95 to the 77).
Yes the early 77 boxes were 'weak', later ones had some modifications to them. My father in law owns Dakar RangeRover No1. That has a 4.5ltr V8 driving through a LT77 box. This vehicle has been driven very very very hard by the motoring press, and the gearbox is still sweet as nut, with smooth non-cluncky changes. The gearboxes are like the engines in that they like regular oil changes to keep them in tip top condition.
The 95 box is noisy and very notchy on the gear change, the 77 is much quieter, slicker gear changes, and it gives you 5 speeds which equals a huge improuvement in fuel economy. If you trawl around the net, there are a few people in the states that have done this conversion, and they are getting approx 30 mpg on a decient run with the standard 3.5 engine.
The trans tunnel will need to be modified to take the defender rubber gater, I have a hunch that the defender trans tunnel may fit with minor modification.
I am also going to fit the chain drive transfere box, which will give me a viscous centre diff, so will help to shove some power to the rear axle under acceleration.
I am some way of fitting the gearbox, it is due to be shipped to Ashcrofts for converting from rear shift (Discovery/RRC) to front shift (Defender).
It all depends on what you want the vehicle to do for you. Alice is going to be my everyday vehicle, hence all the mods to make driving a little easier on todays roads.
Have a look at some of my other posts to see what else I'm up to!!
I hope that this has been of some help
Spen
Right i see, its main usage will be for travalling to my bro's house 14 miles round trip all motorway, travalling to my bro in law's 60ish miles all motorway / A roads, and then travalling to my static caravan in cornwall 330 miles all motorway and a 70 mile run down the A30 a few times a year.

work is just 15 mins away so no need to use the landy for that even if its hammering it down with rain, all shops inc a large shopping centre are all on my door step, so as you can see i wouldn't be using the car for any short distancies but mainly longish distances :)