Scratching my head - Headlamp issue.

Technical questions and answers
ProofNZ

Scratching my head - Headlamp issue.

Post by ProofNZ »

I am a little confused on this one - it must be something simple - but beyond me.

Low beam on the drivers headlight doesn't go.

Other side is fine, both side high beam is fine.

Replaced lamp - still not going.

Got the multimeter out - shows 12volts where it should. Tried 2 different lamps on it.

The only thing I can think, is that at some point when I have had the dash out - I have accidentally shifted around the cabling at the back of the switch - but if that was the case - why is the passenger side going?

I am a little lost - any ideas - directions to look?

Many thanks.
Geoff

Re: Scratching my head - Headlamp issue.

Post by Geoff »

The wire carrying current to your dipped beams has to split somewhere near the front of the engine bay between the two lamps - find the connector block and check the connections there.
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
ProofNZ

Post by ProofNZ »

To clarify - I have measured 12volts at the connector - I will check anyway though - becase I realise that 12 volts but no light doesnt make a lot of sense.
hans

Post by hans »

Try it with the bulb from the working side so you are sure the lamp is correct.
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Volt drop on the supply cable caused most likely by a dodgy connector block. Unlikely to be the earth as the main beam works ok. Despite low beam voltage being present once a significant load is applied it is enough to cause the problem. Mulitimeters have a habbit of missing this point as they don't load the circuit :( Chances are the connector block on the inner wing is the issue.
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
ProofNZ

Post by ProofNZ »

hans wrote:Try it with the bulb from the working side so you are sure the lamp is correct.
Tried a second lamp with the same issue.
Mrs Bingham wrote:Volt drop on the supply cable caused most likely by a dodgy connector block. Unlikely to be the earth as the main beam works ok. Despite low beam voltage being present once a significant load is applied it is enough to cause the problem. Mulitimeters have a habbit of missing this point as they don't load the circuit :( Chances are the connector block on the inner wing is the issue.
Exactly the type of suggestion I was after, and something I wouldn't have figured out myself. Many thanks!
ProofNZ

Post by ProofNZ »

Had a much around with the connections in the engine bay today - and viola - lamps back on.

Will replace the connections.

Many thanks!