help needed

Technical questions and answers
wpalmo

help needed

Post by wpalmo »

Hi All,

I thought I would throw this out to the forum on the off chance someone may be able to help me source some parts for my 1981 Stage One truck cab. I have had no luck sourcing a Stage One steering box in Australia and don't have enough knowledge about who to contact in the UK to find one. Mine is completely knackered and can not be rebuilt using the original main shaft.

The main shaft with the worm gear on it is pitted beyond repair. So I am after ultimately a replacement steering box or if that is not possible a replacement steering shaft with the worm gear. The one thing I have been able to find out is that the original Stage One steering shaft has 7 augers/worms compared to the conventional Series 3 having only 6. I would imagine that this is unique to the Stage One although I have heard that the One Ton Truck Cab also had this set up but I have not confirmed this.

The other solution is to fit the conventional Series 3 steering box with the 6 auger/worm shaft, however I would imagine that it would require more effort to turn compared to the 7 worm shaft of the Stage One. Has anyone on the forum done this before?

Anyway if someone can give me some advice on the best way to proceed I would be very grateful as the motor and gearbox has been rebuilt and I don't want to fit the motor until the steering box is fitted.

As I said I am trying to think outside of the box in finding these parts as I have had no luck through any of my normal suppliers. Hope someone can help.

Regards Warrick.
1981 Stage One V8 Truck Cab
2001 HSE 4.6 Range Rover
map1275

Post by map1275 »

All you need is a new pinion and sundry parts. Pinions are available new under the part number quoted in the parts book. The sundry parts can be purchased as a mystery brand kit or loose. Some of the sundry parts are still available as genuine.

If you read your parts list you will see that there are two boxes for the entire Series III range. One is standard and the other has the optional ratio with more mechanical advantage. If you want new then you will be looking at over $1000 AUD landed plus duty.
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

Thanks map1275 for the good news and bad news. Good to hear you can still purchase the shaft but I didn't think it would be quite that much money. Any idea on a parts supplier to contact for the shaft with the mechanical advantage.

Am I right in my decision to replace the shaft with the original mechanical advantage style or would a conventional complete Series 3 steering box fit into the Stage One? I may be able to pick up one of these in a reasonable condition for a lot less than $1000, although I haven't looked into this idea any further than this conversation. What would you do?

Regards Warrick.
2001 HSE 4.6 Range Rover
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Stage 1 parts come up fairly often on trademe. Chase down a steering box from someone who is wrecking. eg cablelogger (Carl was wrecking an ex-army Stage 1 last year), search for record 482816302 (he might have a steering box too).
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

disco2hse wrote:Stage 1 parts come up fairly often on trademe. Chase down a steering box from someone who is wrecking. eg cablelogger (Carl was wrecking an ex-army Stage 1 last year), search for record 482816302 (he might have a steering box too).
Thanks for that disco2hse. Is cabelogger on the forum? I had a look on the trade me site and found some bits he has for sale. I don't seem to be able to contact him unless I credit my account with money. Looks like I will have to get the credit card out before I can contact him.

Are there Landrover parts suppliers you can recommend in New Zealand who carry Stage One parts. It seems that there may be more Stage Ones per head of population in NZ than anywhere else in the world due to your defence force using them.

Regards Warrick.
Regards Warrick.
2001 HSE 4.6 Range Rover
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

I think Carl was on the forum, but I can't remember his user name. I tried to find his email address but I have that at home.

I would suggest you contact Land Rover Parts in Auckland. They were one of the main suppliers and the guys are very helpful. http://landroverparts.co.nz/
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

OK, how about we stop banging on about Stage 1 and every possible opportunity and adding it to every possible sentence and deal with reality.

You have a Series III Land Rover 3.5. They come with the STANDARD SERIES III steering box with standard ratio and steering lock from new. The other ratio is the option and as all research indicates the optional ratio wasn't generally available in Australia on any Series III. Partly because One-Ton was never sold in Australia.

As per my previous; a new Steering Box (whichever you can find, not whichever you want) will cost over $1000 landed plus duty. A new pinion will cost $100 - $350 depending on who has one and what day of the week it is. Look up the correct part number and google. If any part number is just digits then add Land-Rover to the search.

As per my response to your original listing on this same topic; the pinion is the weak point of all boxes, as you will find on most forums. Therefore buying used will probably get you no further ahead.
If you can locate an ex-NZDF unused reco box then I would buy it. But like many other parts, I have never seen one listed.
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

Hi Map1275,

From my knowledge I thought they are called a "Land Rover Series 3 V8 Stage One". Sorry if I got it wrong but I am only trying to identify the vehicle correctly and "Stage One" is the easiest way to do so when describing it. I assume that is why the Forum is called "Stage 1 V8".

If they only came to Australia with the standard Series 3 steering box why does mine have the 7 worm pinion fitted? Maybe it was replaced from original however I doubt it. Sounds odd though if it was not an original part on my vehicle as I have known the vehicle for the last 20 years so possibly it may have been upgraded before that, but I accept your knowledge as being true as I do not know the Australian Specs for the vehicle.

When it comes to identifying part numbers I must admit I am not the best as I can't work out the part number of that pinion from the catalogues online. Do you know what both part numbers are. Standard Series 3 pinion and Series 3 mechanical advantage pinion numbers.

Thanks again for your reply Map1275.

Regards Warrick.
2001 HSE 4.6 Range Rover
map1275

Post by map1275 »

I don't know how to insert page exerts into this listing but anyway, from your parts book;

Group F
Page 1K 02 1RE 257
Steering column
594506 for RHD
RTC562 for RHD One Ton

The next page (1K 02 1RE 256) lists part numbers for the steering box complete assembly.
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

map1275 wrote:I don't know how to insert page exerts into this listing but anyway, from your parts book;

Group F
Page 1K 02 1RE 257
Steering column
594506 for RHD
RTC562 for RHD One Ton

The next page (1K 02 1RE 256) lists part numbers for the steering box complete assembly.
Thanks mate. Really appreciate the effort.

Regards Warrick.
2001 HSE 4.6 Range Rover
wpalmo

Re: help needed

Post by wpalmo »

Thanks for all the replies to my request for help in sourcing a steering box. I just received one in the mail from the USA of all places. Couldn't believe my luck when Bill from TLR Land Rover Parts in Pittsburgh had a right hand drive One Ton steering box sitting in his warehouse. Brand new original Land Rover steering box complete with pinion. Looking forward to putting it in and then sling the motor and gearbox back in. Should be back on the road soon. Couple of photo's below.

Regards Warrick.

IMG_5280 by wpalmo, on Flickr

IMG_5278 by wpalmo, on Flickr

IMG_5268 by wpalmo, on Flickr
2001 HSE 4.6 Range Rover