Automatik Transmission

Technical questions and answers
alrawie

Automatik Transmission

Post by alrawie »

hi .
which gearbox can be used in the stage 1 v8 3,5 1984 to make it automatik
Excuse me I do not speak English well.
I Have a land Rover Stage 1 v8 3,5 1984.I want to modify the normal Gearbox to the Automatik.
Of any year or model form Rang Rover can be used?
If anyone can advise me I.ll be grateful.
thanks
map1275

Post by map1275 »

This really is reinforcing the need for fixed articles somewhere on the website to stop this endless repetition of topics.

To put an end to our new member's problem; there are NO formal, automatic conversion kits for any Series III Land-Rover available anywhere in the world.

There is just an endless array of home made, one-off conversions using just about any possible transmission. Most not legal through many obvious and simple faults. If you wanted automatic then you should have bought a Range-Rover.

Probably your best choice IF you want to do the job properly is the Australian made conversion that uses the LT95 transfer case. These have been out of production for decades but still regularly pop up. Usually with a free Range-Rover attached.

Australia had a Leyland approved automatic conversion for Range-Rover two years before Leyland got around to building their own.
alrawie

Automatik Transmission

Post by alrawie »

hi
I'm car mechanic and I have problems with my Left feet and I have it and it works well for this I decided to change it to automatic box .
I saw many in the net with autobox .I asked a lot and was answered that to use a range rover classic parts but I do not know any age of range rover or they are all making similar or I have to get from 3.5 or 3.9 or they are similar.
I know I will have to buy an Range rover to take the parts from it
Thanks

Post by 5988 »

Some thoughts that may or may not be of use to you

When I bought my Stage 1 is had an automatic gearbox dropped into it -
From memory some changes to the transmission tunnel were required.
Obviously you need somewhere to put the selector - on mine it was where the middle seat would normally be

It is probably easiest to get the engine and box from one vehicle so the torque converter etc match up

You will probably need to shorten/lengthn the props and do something with the speedo cable

The gearbox in mine was a 4 speed from a RRC with the 3.5 EFI engine (late 80's?) - still had the manual transfer box not the viscous coupling

If you didn't want EFI you could look at 200 series discovery V8 autos
Brendan321

Post by Brendan321 »

i have seen early 80s rangerovers with a 3 speed borgwarner gearbox fitted as original. however this being an australian only thing i think, you find the odd part that, despite being original has a ford badge on it. ive seen this on the selector cover where it says P R N D 2. you turn it upside down and theres a ford badge on it. but i was able to confirm it was original.

no idea if that helps but they do exist and being range rover it would bolt onto a rover v8 with ease.