WEBER CARBURETTOR CONVERSION

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
mikeinbeverley

WEBER CARBURETTOR CONVERSION

Post by mikeinbeverley »

Has anyone tried the 4-barrel Weber conversion on their V8? My Strombergs are well knackered and something has to be done. Any comments would be appreciated.
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

Go to www.rpiv8.com and check out their carb section . . . this is by far the most popular conversion. I have been told by many that the Offy manifold gives better torque than the Edelbrock, but it also costs TWICE as much here in the states. . .
primsil

Post by primsil »

interesting about the offy, I know someone who is selling a near new one, might be worth buying it.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
atomic

Post by atomic »

Are the parts a lot cheaper for this type of conversion in the State than here? Also what are the bene fits? :?:
I like scaring [some] Volvo drivers!
Red 109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon {Dennis}
Same era 3.5l RR for its LPG kit.
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

I think it really boils down to where the parts are made. Edelbrock and Holley are US made and thus cheaper here. In my honest opinion, the dual carbs are sexier and speak of a very respectable British motorsports heritage. At the same time, it's hard to beat the flow, sheer power, off-road ability, and inherent simplicity of a 470CFM four-barrel Holley carb. . . I have no idea what the flow rate is for the duals.
primsil

Post by primsil »

personally I wish to use an edelbrock carb on mine, holleys are okay, but do have their own problems, still anything has to be better than the worn out dual carbs I have.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
Ginga

Post by Ginga »

Extract from http://www.rpiv8.com/carbs-1.htm#performance

"Twin 'SU' and 'Stromberg' Carb System are becoming very difficult to supply or recondition effectively due to them becoming more of a Classic method of fuelling, and they are no longer produced for production vehicles.
Indeed the best carb on the market is the Weber 4-barrel. This system has been used by us for many years now. Economy is vastly improved whilst dramatically increasing engine torque and efficiency, the net gains can be as much as 30bhp. But most noticeable is the instant throttle response that is otherwise lacking in twin carb systems."

The synic in me says bear in mind they are a seller of Weber, more power and instant thottle response gets my vote though >:-)
Theres always a way !
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

The synic in me says bear in mind they are a seller of Weber
They also charge a premium for almost everything they sell! Look at my cost comparison on the Mallory distributor a few posts ago . . .
Basil

Post by Basil »

Had a weber 4 Barrel on a range rover, listening to the induction noise was wonderful, not bad on fuel either as long as you don't keep booting it so you can hear the induction roar.

would have kept it but wanted to go down the lpg route and a mixer to fit one of them was £100.00 and would not get the benifit from it on lpg.

Throughly recomend them though. :D :D :D
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
Ginga

Post by Ginga »

[quote="Basil"]listening to the induction noise was wonderful.

Hello! You've got my attention. V8 sound rocks. (which is also a motivation for my current exhaust crusade) New carbs are on my to do list in the future. Anyone know the best Value For Money weber dealer out there?
Theres always a way !
mikeinbeverley

Post by mikeinbeverley »

All very interesting... I suppose in the end I'll just have to take the plunge. Rimmer Bros are nearer to me, but prices look the same. Maybe I'll have a run down to Lincoln when the weather gets a bit warmer.

[/list]
foggydave

Post by foggydave »

Just put a 4 barrel Weber on mine and I am going to fit a Real Steel high lift cam and Rhoads lifters soon, At the moment I am trying to fit some tubular downpipes and exhaust system off a Range Rover but lots of cutting and welding to do
The Weber was just "fit and run" absolutely no problems and consumption went from 13-14 mpg to 17 mpg although that is with the old exhaust system
I got the Weber/ Edlebrock manifold/cam and lifters all brand new for £200 from a mate, he had had them for years and not fitted them.
I was in the right place at the right time ( does'nt happen very often)
I had to buy a special thermostat housing from RPI as the manifold did not have the right ports for the feeds from the water pump and also bought a pancake 3inch filter off them as well.
Dave
Ginga

Post by Ginga »

foggydave wrote: At the moment I am trying to fit some tubular downpipes and exhaust system off a Range Rover but lots of cutting and welding to do
Exactly my plan. gave up on the cutty weldly exhaust thing though Ive just bought exhaust headers and it came to $160 including delivery which is approx £93

Have yet to fit them, they are lovely, I might just hide them under the bed and look at them and keep them to myself ... Ahem

Part no HED-39800 (Thanks to ArticRover and FiremanShort)

http://store.summitracing.com/default.a ... p&x=45&y=8

Follow this thread from this forum

http://www.stage1v8.org.uk/phpBB2/viewt ... light=#905

where V8Darren describes his pain fitting a 110 exhaust.

Regards

Ginga
Theres always a way !
foggydave

Post by foggydave »

I was going to buy some of this guy on EBaymodifiedv8engines based in Norfolk cost £144
He says he imports from USA so may be the same ones, wished I had seen the Summit ones first. But struggling to fit parts is all part of the Landrover Zen culture I suppose. He also supplies other V8 American stuff
I am going to infill with piping from Jetex (cannot get url to work on this one) as there is a supplier just down the road.
My main problem is that the downpipes catch on the top front spring rear hanger nut so I am having to cut and bend the pipes in by 1-2 inches this of couse means the Y section has to be cut, also there is very little clearance between the front prop shaft and the exhaust but hopefully the twist of the engine under power will turn the exhaust away from the nut
so that it clears.
I will also have to move the cross member back by 6 inches

Is it any hasstle getting stuff direct from the USA I thought there were problems in paying ie Western Union etc
Ginga

Post by Ginga »

foggydave wrote:Is it any hasstle getting stuff direct from the USA I thought there were problems in paying ie Western Union etc
Buying from Summit was as easy and transparent as online order from Amazon or any other major online supplier. I have yet to fit the headers though! Im planning to get this done mid April
Theres always a way !