Alice to the road!!

Technical questions and answers
Mik

Re: Alice to the road!!

Post by Mik »

That looks very interesting - the front dampers on my HCPU are extremely stiff - did you also put them on the back ?
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1982 109 V8 SIII CSW Stage One
1982 109 V8 SIII HCPU Stage One
1990 RRC Vogue SE
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Yes, I opted to replace them all. The ride is certainly more compliant and I'm sure they would work well with a multi leaf set up.
It's a case of driving and playing with the adjustments.
Planning on trying them out offroad at the weekend so will report back.
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Yes, I opted to replace them all. The ride is certainly more compliant and I'm sure they would work well with a multi leaf set up.
It's a case of driving and playing with the adjustments.
Planning on trying them out offroad at the weekend so will report back.
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

So had a great afternoon exploring some of the lanes around Leicestershire. Alice took it all in her stride and happy to report that apart from a few more scratches no damage done.
Really impressed with how the dampers are working, I would go as far as saying the ride is almost as good as a coiler, very compliant without the harsh crashing about.

The only trouble was that my kids now fight me for the keys so spent most of the day in the passenger seat!!!!!
Need to find some time to resurrect the other two series landrovers...........
Mik

Post by Mik »

Sounds like a good buy with those dampers
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1982 109 V8 SIII CSW Stage One
1982 109 V8 SIII HCPU Stage One
1990 RRC Vogue SE
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

So, one of the other addions to Alice is the sound deadening mat kit from Wright Offroad.
Now, this will fit Alice as I have the R380 trans tunnel, so I opted for a defender kit. So far I've fitted the footwell mat which has made the front look alot more tidy.
I've still got the seat box section to fit when I've got some time (seats have got to come out and I need to do some minor re-wiring)
At around 55mph, the road noise has been significantly reduced to the point that I can hear the transfer box humming away, making for very pleasant crusing.
I've also fitted a sub woofer to improve the sound quality of the stereo, yep getting carried away now!!!
Quite a neat little unit I got from a company called Classic Car Radio. They also supplied me with a bit of electronic wizardry so that the radio can tune into digital radio via the standard ariel.
All works really well, and nice to be able to listen to some tunes whilst driving along.
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Here's the unit that fits quite nicely under the rear seat.
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

So, another milestone achieved today. Alice has been part of the family now for 10 years!!! :o
I have no idea where the time has gone, and I'm pleased to say that she it still rolling along taking me to work each day. Still got a few things I would like to get done some time, but like all Landover projects, when are they actually finished!!!
Looking at replacing the tyres soon, they still have sufficient tread on them for road use, but a bit on the thin side for off road. I will be going for the coopers again (this set has just covered 55,000 miles) and I'm thinking about going for their mud terrain tyre, which does look meaty and offers a very good on road performance. (A friend has got some on his defender and is amazed at how good they are)

Here's to many more years of trundling around in my favourite form of transport.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Excellent.

As for mud tyres, given the cost I wonder if it is worth it. They do tend to wear faster than ATs simply because of the blocks (smaller point pressure, so greater wear). Depends on the brand I guess.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

I have been thinking this and how I use Alice, and I think I'm going to stick with the same tyre as I have been very impressed with their performance in all conditions and surfaces.
tomo_

Post by tomo_ »

Alicerover wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:26 am So, one of the other addions to Alice is the sound deadening mat kit from Wright Offroad.
Now, this will fit Alice as I have the R380 trans tunnel, so I opted for a defender kit. So far I've fitted the footwell mat which has made the front look alot more tidy.
I've still got the seat box section to fit when I've got some time (seats have got to come out and I need to do some minor re-wiring)
At around 55mph, the road noise has been significantly reduced to the point that I can hear the transfer box humming away, making for very pleasant crusing.
I've also fitted a sub woofer to improve the sound quality of the stereo, yep getting carried away now!!!
Quite a neat little unit I got from a company called Classic Car Radio. They also supplied me with a bit of electronic wizardry so that the radio can tune into digital radio via the standard ariel.
All works really well, and nice to be able to listen to some tunes whilst driving along.
That sounds interesting.
Does R380 tunnel fit Plug-n-Play? What else required changes ? Did you change seatbox and floor plates as well ? It does direct bolt on to bulkhead or conversion plate is required?
Def 110 200Tdi, work in progress on Stage 1
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Yep, direct fit as I'm using the r380 tunel cover. Not a bad fit around the floor or bulkhead.
Just need to do something where the fuse box fits in a defender. Really good product, very heavy and helped to reduce noise by quite a bit. I have already added sound insulation and I was looking for something just to tidy up the front footwell area.
I've still yet to find the time to fit the seat box part, which will mean removing the seats and centre cubby box. Will then have to work out how to access the storage under the seats with the mat in place.
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

A question for our UK members.
I am trying to find someone around Leicestershire who can do some welding repairs on the rear doors.
They have rotted out in the usual places at the bottom corners, Google search just brings up the large garages and I need someone who will be sympathetic with the repairs.
Anyone got some recommendations.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I can only suggest Swinfield Cooper on Freemen's Common in Leicester - they rebuilt my rusted out dumb irons from scratch, their not being available to buy for the Stage One.
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

So, Alice has turned 40 this month, having first set out on her great adventure in August 1982.
She has had a hard and purposeful life, so far, and continues to put a smile on my face every time we go out on a trip.
So happy birthday Alice, not looking too shabby at 40!!!
[img]https://i.ibb.co/hKNvrg0/20220807-131100.jpg[/img][/url]