HELP 2 revisited

Technical questions and answers
martin hughes

HELP 2 revisited

Post by martin hughes »

fixed coolant problem. On test drive engine ran fine on gas and petrol then DIED! Fuel leaking from hose from top of RHS carb to wing. Damper in carb showing less resistance than LHS. All linkages between carbs ok.
HELP, any ideas? Could a flooded float cause this?
1982 109 V8 Station Wagon
1965 88 Short Wheel Base
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

I am curious how necessary these top of carb to wing lines are? I don't have them, to my knowledge. My fuel simply goes to the filter then splits for the carbs. . .
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

I havent got them either.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
glencoyne

Post by glencoyne »

If the float in one of your carbs sticks or you get a bit of dirt stuck in the float needle valve, those lines will take the overflowing fuel away from the engine bay and dump it on the ground, instead of over the top of your hot engine. That makes them a Good Thing IMO. Stromberg carbs seem to be a bit prone to sticking floats, especially where a vehicle has been left standing, or has suffered from water contamination in the fuel. This is probably the problem that Martin has. Tapping the float chamber sharply with a screwdriver handle can sometimes cure the problem, otherwise the carb will need to be stripped and cleaned.

Lack of carb damper resistance is most usually due to a lack of oil. Strombergs seem to regularly need the damper oil topping up. I have no idea where the oil disappears to.

Richard
Basil

Post by Basil »

I think the damper's are portals to a paralell universe richard i know when i had strombergs the oil used to vanish into thin air :shock:
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg