Restrictors

Technical questions and answers
nrv1

Restrictors

Post by nrv1 »

Thicky question of the day.Is there any benefit in removing the restrictors and putting on a RRC manifold or does the former entirely negate the need for the latter?
NRV1

Losing the restrictors will help
The V8 was around 135 bhp in the RRC
the addition of restrictors and some other changes dropped that to 91 for the stage 1 ... which is rubbish from a 3.5ltr engine

You will gain some power with the restrictors gone, but they fight hard ... tbh its easier just to put a RRC manifold on as they are cheap and ideally you want the manifold off to get the restrictors out anyway

You will get a noticeable economy increase if you don't use the power, as your having to drag all the air through that narrow opening atm, and thats costing you fuel to do it - so even if you don't want the power, unless real rivet counting matters to you get them out

Your brakes should easily cope with the power in standard form, if they don't stop it confidently from the speed limit there are problems

as for the manual - there are some already on Landroverv8.com - if its not one of them it will be worth having, Ive not seen one, but the NZ/AUS guys may have as stage 1 stuff seems much more common over there

p.s I guess you meant to put this in tech not welcome
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Concurrent production manifolds are almost exactly the same. Unless you are referring to some completely different R-Rover manifold. Even then I doubt it, as from the ten I have collected so far, inlet porting is identical, save for the usual casting errors.

The only difference in our manifolds (either of the two castings) compared to concurrent Range-Rover production, is the machined grove for restrictor's wire ring to sit in and the part number and unique Land-Rover V8 stamp in the upper most face.

Removing the restrictors is an accepted quick fix for power increase. To do it properly you should fit normal spacers/insulators and the tin tubes found on concurrent Rover V8s. Otherwise use the shark's teeth plates from later production.

Chasing power also relies on SPECIFICALLY which model Series III Land-Rover V8 you have. A detail point which you normally have to forceably extract from owners.
elanbaby

different needle after removing restrictors?

Post by elanbaby »

Hello,
I just bought a Stage One Pick Up, non detoxed engine, restrictors already removed. The engine runs very well and hast lots of power. Well, compared to my std Series Landys that is... She runs a little lean though, CO2 at last mot 0,7%! The plugs tips are not white, but pretty light brown. Which metering needles should I put in my Stromberg 175CD? Fitted presently are std. needles B1EW (part no AEU 1476).

Do early 3.5 RRC with Strombergs use different (richer) needles?

Juergen
Zjiep

Re: Restrictors

Post by Zjiep »

nrv1 wrote:Thicky question of the day.Is there any benefit in removing the restrictors and putting on a RRC manifold or does the former entirely negate the need for the latter?
NRV1
uuhh, could you tell me where to find the restrictor so i can check of my car still has got one.

thnxs

Roel
Roel

---------------------------------------
09-2010: bought my very 1e LR ;)
'83 110 V8 StaWag (LHD) LPG converted
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

I often find that when I want to find the answer to a question that has probably been asked before that using the search function helps.

Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5