Timing

Technical questions and answers
timbo_w

Timing

Post by timbo_w »

Seem to be having trouble with my engine, when it starts it is ticking over ok with plenty of choke, but when i drive it there seems to be no power output, i have my foot flat on the floor but it just poodles along and doesn't even rev high enough to change gear. This was ok up until i changed my gaskets (sump,rocker and carb) so wondiering if i have replaced the ht leads in the wrong order ( i did mark them up but cant see any other reason why it has just stopped working properly) so does anyone know where i could get hold of the distributor ht lead layout
1982 109 V8 Pickup, a newby with a new project
Huzey

firing order

Post by Huzey »

Hi Timbo
The layout for the ht leads is;
viewing the engine from the front, the r/h side bank of cylinders are 1,3,5,7, No1 being closest to the radiator, and the L/H bank of cylinders are 2,4,6,8.
the firing order is 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2.
If the motor is ticking over, but lacks power, I would suggest an air leak on the inlet manifold. Speaking from experience, I would check you have got the carb gaskets sealed down well.
Hope this helps.
Regards Huzey :)
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
glencoyne

Post by glencoyne »

Just to add one more piece of info - distributor rotates clockwise (looking from the top).

Richard
Huzey

Timing

Post by Huzey »

Ah, forgot that bit. Doh! :oops:
Thanks Richard.
Regards Huzey.
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

I discovered on my old truck after power washing. The carb slides on the SU's were corroding and welding themselves shut. Must be the detergent in the washer.

The car would start, tick over like normal but not rev.
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

I am about to undertake rebuilding my Stromberg 175CD-2 carb units. I think they may have much to do with my lack of power. There were some new old stock on eBay a while ago, but I think I could probably do this myself. Anyone rebuilt theirs?
primsil

Post by primsil »

with the engine running spray some easy start around the inlet manifold, if its leaking it will rev a little when you spray it near the leak.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

Nice technique!