Diff Lock Selector Knob

Your adverts or pointers to other adverts, Ebay, recommended suppliers etc.
firemanshort

Diff Lock Selector Knob

Post by firemanshort »

Does anyone know of a source for a replacement?

My diff lock light keeps coming on for no reason. It usually takes until the last few minutes of a 30 minute commute to work for it to just magically come on.

At first, I thought I might have a bad switch. I messed about with it and the light turns on and off appropriately when the diff lock knob is shifted. (This is when the truck is cold)

Then I thought I may have a bent/ crimped / shorted wire that was flexing and finding ground on its own. So I unplugged the wires to the diff lock switch and the light always stays out, now. If it was finding its own ground outside of the switch then the light should stay on regardless of the switch being hooked up or not.

I am wondering if the diff lock selector knob is leaking air (or if the shifting diaphram is leaking).

Any thoughts?

P.S. How can I tell if the diff lock is really engauged or if it is just a light malfunction?
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA

Post by 5988 »

take the vacuum pipe off the diff lock and then try, see if it comes off (you will need to seal the pipe or the engine will run horribly)
map1275

Post by map1275 »

If diff lock is engaged then the vehicle will be physically harder to drive. There may also be a slight noise increase.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

It will bind up when you are turning at low speed. You will hear and feel it.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
firemanshort

Bump

Post by firemanshort »

Back to original message....

After lots of testing and messing about, the diff lock light indicator switch is probably bad - where can I buy one of those?

Also - my vaccum plunger switch is not bad - but is not good, either. I would love to replace it with a smooth, leak free and slick operating one. Does anyone have a parts truck parked out back that they can pull one from or know of a parts source that may stock this?

(I may to niavely hopeful to find these parts new since the LT95 was used for the Defender, Range Rover and Stage One.....)
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA

Post by 5988 »

try p.a Blanchard
I may have the switch as i took a box out of a 110 (but i have a feeling it had one broken as did my stage 1 so i may have used to good two)
I think it also had a diff lock switch (would need to check it and mine first though)
Im away for a few weeks but can look after that if you've not sorted any
map1275

Post by map1275 »

You can use a generic item as per ADF. Try your local air supply shop and take a sample. You'll probably just have to block off a couple of surplus ports.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

There are countless of these switches on e-bay and Trade Me. Just confirm the thread form as Lucas make two, which appear identical but have different threads.

There are also repros with a smaller body. Otherwise Moss America or Mini Mania should have them on the shelf.
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

I found the parts from Glencoyne - so I am set.

(Also - the vacuum pull knob was not 'broken'. It was just dirty and hard to pull - so what I thought was all th eway out was only half way out. A good bit of force and it popped out the rest of the way and everything works well. It turns out it just needed some use and a good cleaning.)
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA