Air Filter

Technical questions and answers
Andy

Air Filter

Post by Andy »

Hi, I am changing the air filter on my stage 1. I want to place an after market filter on each of the carb air intakes. I am struggling to get an air filter to fit over the air intake. Is there an air filter I can buy that fits straight over the air intake and can be tightened with a clamp or is there an air filter with adaptor I should use? What air filter is best?
primsil

Post by primsil »

The best air filter is the factory one. If you must change it there are K+N filters which fit on the carbs but personally they wouldnt go on my engine, try a speed shop and check their catalogue.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Not quite sure from your description where you are trying to plug onto.

Most of the plumbing doesn't have a true OD. The only parts that are round are the adaptors on the back of the carbs and I don't know of any brand that makes an adaptor to fit onto these.

As per the previous post, you would be looking at K&N for the carb face, not the cast L-Rover adaptors. There is no pod choice. Air filter kit x 2 plus stub stacks x 2. No stub stacks and you loose a lot of the potential gained in having changed filters in the first place. In generic terms K&N are the best filters you can buy but for the application you want they have been repeatedly proven inadequate.

K&N don't make a replacement element for either drum type filter. They do however make them for one of the two Range-Rover designs. This is what I always had in mind for prolonged highway use.