Roof Rack for Soft Top

Technical questions and answers
firemanshort

Roof Rack for Soft Top

Post by firemanshort »

I was told that Kiwi Stage Ones had a roof rack fitted to the soft top vareity.

Can anyone verify and are there any photos?
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

The Army made (in Nelson) roof racks for the FFRs. These were only ever originally designed to support camo nets but of course they were used for every other thing too. They are heavy (about 70kg) steel things. Their max weight capacity is about 60kg on the frame, so that plus the weight of the rack itself means you could have more than 130kg swinging about above a rather narrow set of wheels. Needless to say quite a few have rolled from the pendulum effect.

I have taken mine off and at the moment it is pulling duty by holding grape vines in the summer :D

They are fitted onto the vehicle at four points, the two rear supports bolt into the position where the bumperettes normally go. The two front supports bolt onto antenna support brackets (one on each side), which have also been strengthened by adding a stronger plate behind the bodywork.

There are photos about the place, but here's a link to Gary's on this site:
http://www.stage1v8.org.uk/album/garysax/
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
firemanshort

Canoe

Post by firemanshort »

That looks OK - just that I do not have the spots where the front mounts fit.

I am just looking for a way to carry my canoe around with me - so I am not carrying that much weight.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

If it is to carry a canoe you could just as easily fabricate the front mounts and make the whole arrangement lighter. Much of the weight is in the steel pierced plate on the rack, so you can instead build a skeletal frame.

The front mounts clamp on either side of the body work. The inside plate, which is riveted to the body to hold it in position, has four threaded holes. The outside plate is then located with four holes lined up on the inside plate's threaded holes.

On the photo there is an angled plate too. This is the antenna mounting plate but you might want to incorporate that onto your rack's mounting plate. It has an additional two bolts that are drilled through the steel cap form just below the cap rail. All the bolts are substantial and galvanised.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

As an alternative (which can look neater/cleaner) is the Australian design for R.O.P.
In its original concept it is a demented version of the UK R.O.P. but with matching rear hoop. A cam net rack interconnects both hoops.
All the parts are available new, and the concept is straightforward.

I wouldn't trust either as true protection but it does make for a clean look.

Your parts book should give you a reasonable idea of the front part and what's involved.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Hey Map, you gotta link? :D :P

Sorry mate. Couldn't resist that one.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

i reckon go similar to the kiwi army setup but mount it to the chassis by carrying on the front mounts and having an extra set halfway along to help take weight, have it come in to mount just in front of the rear wheel. like disco2hse said they do tend to wobble slightly. on the sid of my one it says ratted to carry 250kg.
"If it ain't v8, take it back"