Fuel Tank again...................ARGHHHHHHHHHH

Technical questions and answers
Matt Braddish

Fuel Tank again...................ARGHHHHHHHHHH

Post by Matt Braddish »

Having spoken to the parts manager at LR parts, I was advised that some stage 1's do indeed have the different tanks as fitted to the 6 cylinders, as they ran out of the tanks for the stage 1's during production. They apparently had one on the shelf to fit and it was duly ordered. Wrong tank turns up in the post today, apparently they only do the Stage 1 tank now, didn't think to contact me and see if I still required the seals for the other tank.......thanks!!!!... and still charged me and sent items that are now of no use.
anyhow, rant over, It seems that I need to convert mine to the Stage 1 tank, so need the different sender, locking ring and gasket, but what I need to know is how does the fuel return pipe connect on these tanks as there is only a hole for the sender unit and no obvious way of connecting the return pipe, that screwed in through a hole in the top of my old tank.
Matt B
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Firstly, in either case (either tank design) the only issue was the presence of the fuel return system. Screw in or twist lock sender is just a period design issue (plus a few general tank design differences).

Second, the twist lock sender is also the fuel pick-up. Unless you manage to buy unmolested new old stock, you will also need the locking ring and seal as well. Plus the usual olive and nut to adapt to the fuel line.

The correct tank has the fuel return pipe soldered into the tank already. You just need a new olive and nut to attach to the fuel return plastic pipe.

Just so you don't feel alone, LR also dicked me about earlier this year over the same tank.
I was over the moon to find they had the genuine item available (even at 340 odd GBP). Ordered it, sorted out the courier and no reply for over a week. They then get back to me to say they're now NLA genuine. so I will have to buy cheapo repro or nothing. A month later I checked their system again to find genuine still listed but now at almost 500 GBP.
If they had just said there was an error in pricing, or got back to me to say they had found one....
map1275

Post by map1275 »

They have also since pulled a similar trick another part I was after.