Removing air filter question,

Technical questions and answers
robertstr

Removing air filter question,

Post by robertstr »

Ok, here is what I want to do, kill that giant air filter and fit smaller ones..has anybody done this? and any pointers or where i could find a ready to order solution would really be great. I don't get the point of that giant thing....?

http://screencast.com/t/FcGMDxn3oFF
Just bought x NZ army 109 Stage 1 V8
you cant fix stupid
map1275

Post by map1275 »

What do you expect to achieve?

Do you have the special tool to adjust the mixtures?
map1275

Post by map1275 »

I assume you intend to drive it on the road? In which case shouldn't you be be looking at what your State and Federal requirements are before playing with the car?
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Why would you do that?
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
robertstr

Why

Post by robertstr »

Hmm, few things, one it seems a giant waste of space, its just an air filter as far as i can tell, can be achieved a lot easier with two small ones it seems to me. Also car runs a lot better without it being hocked up (yes probably not the cause} Better access to some rust spots i need to hit, Just seems odd thing to me, its fully possible that I am nuts. But its just an air filter right?
you cant fix stupid
robertstr

isnt this the same motor?

Post by robertstr »

you cant fix stupid
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Well, of course it is up to you, but there is a reason for the air filter being the design that it is. Remember this is a working vehicle that is designed to go into dirty, wet or dusty environments. The filter is designed to deal with those and also reticulate engine fumes from the crankcase.

If you are never going to go anywhere dusty or where there may be water, then by all means, go ahead.

There are smaller filters that are standard fitment, mainly for sale in Europe. The filters in the utube are non-standard (I think). Just because it's on the interwebs doesn't make it right to do.

About getting access to rusty bits, there are two adjustable straps that hold the filter drum in place. Undo those, lift it out and there you go. Lots of access to your rusty bits. When finished, it is just as easy lift back and tighten up those brackets again.

It is up to you, but I can't see the point. I am sure there are more important things to address, like that yard broom paint job.

By the way, if it is running better without the filter. The filter is probably clogged and needs replacing, or the mixture is not set right on at least one of the carbs, or the carbs are not tuned correctly, or the carbs are not correctly balanced, or the carbs need new diaphragms.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Virtually NO road going vehicles have "just" an air cleaner.

Hence my previous question on what your intended purpose for the car is, which you seem to have skipped.
robertstr

hmmm

Post by robertstr »

Ok, cant argue about the carbs port, its on the list to take em off and clean them up this week.

Intended use, pretty much a daily driver, around town- I live in FL not really a hill in a hundred miles. I thought this mod was pretty common actually, seems its not. Thanks for the thoughts,
you cant fix stupid
map1275

Post by map1275 »

So you don't need to meet ANY State or Federal requirements to get the car registered?
Brendan321

Post by Brendan321 »

just put range rover filters and air box on it? smaller but just as effective but again why? what do you gain?
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

Since Robert is in the USA - and the truck is older than 25 years, the Federal / State emissions standards do not apply. So he is pretty free to modify the air intake / carb setup as he sees fit.

They make K&N brand filters that fit on either carb. I am sure they are fine. For real extreme conditions (like really wet / deep wading) you are probably better with the factory set up. The K&Ns may be a bit noisier than factory, too. Otherwise, they should be little problem.

A new air filter and carb tune is probably where I would go if I was you.

(But then again, I took off my carbs and put an Edelbrock intake system on my truck - so what do I know :lol: )
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
robertstr

k, have seen the light

Post by robertstr »

OK, so general consul.... is, its not such a hot idea, going to drop it. (for now)
As far as regs go, based on the age of the car, I really don't have to do much at all in the States.

Now to attack those carbs i guess, BTW I am keeping that broom handle paint job. I live in the land of yuppies and it just does my heart good to park it next to all the shinny BMW and Mercs :twisted:
you cant fix stupid
disco2hse

Re: k, have seen the light

Post by disco2hse »

robertstr wrote:I am keeping that broom handle paint job. I live in the land of yuppies and it just does my heart good to park it next to all the shinny BMW and Mercs :twisted:
LOL. Fair enough.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Well I would have thought that basic features such as heater and demister would have been picked up and far more important than bling air-cleaners.

I would have also thought that since you are in the land of K&N and you look to have one of the later barrels, you would have looked at their website for a direct replacement element. But I am starting to think that improved performance was not your intent.