SU carbs no power and misfiring

Technical questions and answers
engineengineer

SU carbs no power and misfiring

Post by engineengineer »

Hi all, newbie here, sorry not to introduce myself, im JAck from Devon.
ive just got series 3 v8 running after being sat for 11 years, unstuck the clutch slave cylinder and now it drives, but misfires loads and have to drive in first or second low range at high revs or it just doesnt have enough power. any idea what the problem could be? plugs are ok and it has a good sparks, i think i should strip and clean the carbs and i was told that the carb and manifold gaskets can go?
cheers, jack.
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Hi Jack,

If your vehicle hasn't moved for 11 years, you've got a load of work to to :?
Petrol will 'go off' after a while and will clog up the fuel lines and the carbs. Only way is to strip them down and clean. Ignition system will need looking at, new spark plugs, rotor arm, leads and dizzy cap won't go amiss, and check the timing. Just watch the quality of the parts though, cheap is not the way to go, there are a lot of poor quality copy parts out there!! Change the oil and make sure the breathers are not blocked. Make sure the fuel pump is running properly. Can't think of anything else, I'm sure there will be other comments.
Hope that this helps!! :D
Brendan321

Post by Brendan321 »

i had a very similar problem once. as soon as i hit 3rd gear it would just bog down and misfire badly. dwell angle was set too low after playing with the ignition system. not to say other things wouldnt cause it but having ignition is not totally discrete like, it does or it doesnt have spark
engineengineer

Post by engineengineer »

new plugs and has had oil change.
on a different subject, why are landys so low horsepower compared to the rovers? is it just because of the low compression? im thinking twin turbo and intercoolers....
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

I would have thought that was obvious, but in answer to your question perhaps weight, size, gearing and stopping; or lack of it might be why - not to mention that a Stage1 V8 was designed that way :roll:

If you wanted performance then you should have bought a Range Rover :wink:

BTW – have you got a standard SIII with a V8 engine fitted or do you have a genuine factory built 109 V8?

In answer to your original question I echo what Alicerover says but add vacuum leaks, compression tests, worn camshaft, lifters and just about every other moving part to mention to the list of checks.
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
engineengineer

Post by engineengineer »

okies, will do. the landys not mine. i believe it is ex-military. it dosent have the same grill as the orange one as the forum header, looks a bit like a defender grill but fibreglass. its definately factory fitted, what do you think?